The 10 most important things in the world right now
1. Staples CEO Ron Sargent is stepping down after the company's failed merger with Office Depot, according to a release from the company.
2. Carl Icahn has a big new position. The legendary investor has announced a new position in Allergan Pharmaceuticals.
3. China is preparing an air defence zone in the disputed South China Sea. "Regarding when to declare such a zone, it will depend on whether China is facing security threats from the air, and what the level of the air safety threat is," a defense ministry statement said.
4. Jose Cuervo, the world's largest tequila producer, is planning a $1 billion IPO. Like the US, Mexico hasn't seen much IPO action this year.
5. US-backed fighters in Syria are launching an offensive to capture a crucial swathe of northern Syria known as the Manbij pocket from ISIS. The operation aims to choke off ISIS' access to Syrian territory along the Turkish border.
6. A set of photos is making its way around the internet that shows what could be the next-generation MacBook Pro's body. The leaked photos suggest the next MacBook Pro keyboard will be part touchscreen.
7. Airbus' most senior engineer said the crash of a missing EgyptAir jet has strengthened the case for "black boxes" that can pop out of an aircraft before an accident. The jet's flight recorders or "black boxes" are designed to emit acoustic signals for 30 days after a crash.
8. New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman slammed Donald Trump's "phony" and "shameless" Trump University, the same day hundreds of pages of internal documents were unsealed.
9. Philippine president-elect Rodrigo Duterte said that corrupt journalists were legitimate targets of assassination. "Just because you're a journalist you are not exempted from assassination, if you're a son of a bitch," Duterte said.
10. North Korea has backed presumptive US Republican nominee Donald Trump, with a propaganda website praising him as "a prescient presidential candidate."
And finally ...
- ATF price cut by 4.6 pc; commercial LPG rate hiked by Rs 21
- UltraTech to take over Kesoram's cement business in an all-share deal
- Credit score improvement requires strict disciple but it is possible – Here’s how go about it
- Stellar listing gains: Book profits if there are bumper gains say experts
- Exit polls predict BJP advantage in MP, Rajasthan, Congress win in Chhattisgarh, Telangana and tight contest in Mizoram