The 10 smartest countries based on math and science
The BBC says this is the conclusion of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), an economic think tank that outlined its findings in a new report ranking countries' school systems based on students math and science test scores.
The report - which the BBC received early access to - will be formally presented at the World Education Forum in South Korea next week.
Of the 76 countries ranked, the top half is largely dominated by Asian nations, the BBC reports. European countries take up a majority of spots 5 through 30 in the rankings, and the United States sits at the tail end of the top third, tied at 28th with Italy. The bottom half of the rankings feature mostly African and Latin American countries.
The bottom 10? Saudi Arabia at 66th, followed by Colombia, Qatar, Indonesia, Botswana, Peru, Oman, Morocco, Honduras, South Africa, and Ghana in last place.
|2. Hong Kong|
|3. South Korea|
|4. Japan (tie)|
|4. Taiwan (tie)|
|17. New Zealand|
|20. United Kingdom|
|21. Czech Republic|
|28. Italy (tie)|
|28. United States (tie)|
|37. Slovak Republic|
|53. Costa Rica|
|66. Saudi Arabia|
|75. South Africa|
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Some people are apparently ditching their iPhones for a foldable Razr model. Yes, the kind that was popular 20 years ago.
- Pan-India drug trafficking cartel using cryptocurrency through dark net busted
- Strengthening ties: India gifts 3,000 LPG gas stoves to underprivileged families in Nepal
- Honda unveils Elevate SUV to compete with Creta, Seltos and Grand Vitara
- Explained: Why Apple's new VR headset is the talk of the town despite being priced 3X more than Meta Quest Pro
- Aditya Birla Group to take on Tata, Reliance now in the branded jewellery space