The best car we saw at CES 2019
Mark Matousek/Business Insider
- Though Audi first unveiled its Aicon concept car in 2017, it was my favorite car at this year's International Consumer Electronics Show (CES).
- The electric, autonomous concept vehicle's exterior design, interior design, and proposed specs and capabilities made me more excited about the possibility of riding in a production version than those of any other car I saw at CES.
- Audi has said it intends to make a production vehicle based on the Aicon by 2021.
Though Audi first unveiled its Aicon concept car in 2017, it was my favorite car at this year's International Consumer Electronics Show (CES). The electric, autonomous concept vehicle's exterior design, interior design, and proposed specs and capabilities made me more excited about the possibility of riding in a production version than those of any other car I saw at CES.
Read more: The 31 coolest concept cars revealed in 2018
Since the Aicon concept has no steering wheel or pedals, it has a spacious interior that would hold four passengers. (I was not able to see inside the concept vehicle at CES, but Audi has released renderings of its interior.)
Two would sit on a bench in the vehicle's rear, and two would sit on seats that would be able to slide nearly 20 inches backward or forward and swivel up to 15 degrees to the left or right.
The Aicon's transparent roof and long windshields would provide a more expansive view to passengers than many of today's production vehicles.
The Aicon's exterior styling achieves a difficult balance between the sleek proportions of a traditional luxury vehicle and modest but futuristic flourishes like the elongated windshields and lighting arrays that replace traditional headlights. The Aicon is one of the best-looking concept vehicles I've seen.
What it is: An electric, autonomous passenger car
Who makes it: Audi
Why it's the best: The Aicon features some of the best exterior and interior design I've seen in a concept vehicle, and the prospect of a spacious, long-range, autonomous vehicle that can charge quickly makes me excited about the future of transportation, even if that future is more distant than automakers have indicated.
Where and when you can get it: Audi has said it intends to make a production vehicle based on the Aicon by 2021.
How much it will cost: Audi has not said how much a production version of the Aicon might cost.
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- IPL nail biters, munchies and the demand for ‘sides’
- Louis Vuitton's fall is Elon Musk's gain — Tesla owner reclaims top spot in richest list
- Toyota reports highest-ever monthly sales in May at 20,410 units
- Indian aviation regulator asks airlines to frame deplaning guidelines in case of emergency
- Zendesk lays off 320 employees; 8% of workforce