The best liquid eyeliner you can buy
- Liquid eyeliner can rank high on the list of "scary beauty products," mostly because of how finicky it can be and how easily it can smudge or run down your face.
- The Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Liner is positively foolproof, which is why it's our top pick in the liquid liner category.
There's a joke that tends to circulate among those who are more than a little beauty-obsessed - the later we are to leave our apartments, the more complicated of a liquid eyeliner look we decide to wear.
It's funn, but sad, because liquid eyeliner can really be a pain in the butt, which is the major reason why most makeup novices shy away from it.
But not all liquid eyeliners are as scary as they're made out to be. In fact, liquid eyeliners have advanced by leaps and bounds over the past few years. Gone are the days of flimsy paintbrush-like applicators and runny pigments. Now, the majority of liners come with marker-like tips, making it much easier to create clean, crisp lines. The formulations are much sturdier, which means no runny black tears À la Lauren Conrad on "The Hills."
All that said, there are a few tricks you want to keep in mind when it comes to working with liquids. The most important? Don't try to make one, clean line in one swipe - it's pretty much impossible. Instead, apply your line in short strokes, and go slowly. This is a marathon - not a sprint.
Another tip? If you're creating a cat-eye with liquid eyeliner, apply to each eye in tandem, not one at a time. So draw the flick on each eye to make sure they're even, and then fill in each line over the lid. That way, it's easier to fix if things get messed up.
But all of these tips are totally worthless if you don't have the right liner in your makeup bag. So which one reigns supreme? Read on for our top picks in every category. But remember these two things - practice makes perfect, and don't attempt liquid liner if you're in a rush.
Here are the best liquid eyeliners you can buy:
- The best liquid eyeliner overall: Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Liner
- The best liquid eyeliner for newbies: Lancôme Grandiôse Bendable Liquid Liner
- The best liquid eyeliner for pros: Charlotte Tilbury The Feline Flick
- The best innovative liquid eyeliner: Surratt Beauty Auto-Graphique Eyeliner
- The best drugstore liquid eyeliner: Milani Eye Tech Extreme Liquid Liner
Updated 6/25/19 by Jada Wong: Updated copy, formatting, links, and prices.
Keep reading to learn more about our picks.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.
The best liquid eyeliner overall
The best liquid eyeliner for newbies
The best liquid eyeliner for pros
The best innovative liquid eyeliner
The best drugstore liquid eyeliner
Check out our other great makeup buying guides
- Not hard, not soft, the earliest dino eggs may have been of a 'leathery' texture to protect against damage: study
- Don't need to go big to go home: Australia is turning to sustainable 'tiny houses' to fix their housing crisis!
- Affordability levels to buy homes hit in last 2 years; to improve in 2024 on likely repo rate cut: JLL
- Carbon tax turns into climate fight at COP28
- Market to focus on macro data, global trends: Analysts