The best places to shop for kids' clothes by age range
Insider Picks writes about products and services to help you navigate when shopping online. Insider Inc. receives a commission from our affiliate partners when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
- Kids grow so quickly that buying them nice clothing often seems like an irrational way to spend money, until you see how cute and charming your children look.
- When shopping, consider every factor at play, including the season, school dress codes, a likely growth spurt, and, of course, their own sense of style.
- Well-made kids' clothing won't wear out as quickly and can be handed down later.
- The best places for quality children's clothes are Tea Collection, Gap, J.Crew, and Nordstrom.
- The best places for affordable children's clothes are at Walmart, Target, Amazon, and JCPenney.
New parents will quickly discover that buying clothes for kids is a fraught affair: On one hand, you want them to look really nice, but on the other, kids often outgrow their clothes within a single season, which means you'll have to spend more money to buy new clothes, while the old ones pile up.
So, how do you strike a balance? My solution is to split the wardrobe into two categories, with the dividing factor being the price. My kids each have a number of high-quality garments suited for holidays, fancy meals out, and other special occasions, coupled with cheap, disposable clothing for art sessions, play dates at the park, or pasta dinners with red sauce. It's no different than how most adults build their wardrobes, frankly.
Splitting between higher-end and budget-friendly retailers allows you to spend wisely, splurging on a few select items while filling in the wardrobe with lower-cost clothes. Of course, there's a tradeoff: High-quality clothing lasts longer than cheaper threads and is unlikely to need replacement before it's outgrown, and vice-versa for lower-quality garb. And, finer garments also make better hand-me-downs, too.
With strategic shopping, your kids can look their best while keeping your budget in the comfort zone. Just plan ahead for the season, the events on the calendar, a school's dress guidelines, your kid's own sense of style, and, of course, any younger siblings or cousins who might extend the lifespan of nicer clothes.
Here are the best places to buy clothes for kids by age range:
- Best baby clothes: Tea Collection
- Best baby clothes on a budget: Walmart
- Best toddler clothes: Gap
- Best toddler clothes on a budget: Target
- Best kids' clothes: J.Crew
- Best kids' clothes on a budget: Amazon
- Best tween clothes: Nordstrom
- Best tween clothes on a budget: JCPenney
Read on in the slides below to check out our top picks.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.
The best baby clothes
The best baby clothes on a budget
The best toddler clothes
The best toddler clothes on a budget
The best kids' clothes
The best kids' clothes on a budget
The best tween clothes
The best tween clothes on a budget
- Toyota was right about hybrid cars all along
- The youngest son of Asia's richest man is getting married, and the pre-wedding event features Rihanna, a 9-page dress code, and live animals
- Check out some of the best and most daring looks at Ambani's pre-wedding bash — from Rihanna to Mark Zuckerberg
- Bengaluru cafe blast: Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah to chair meeting with top police officials today
- India retains full policy space for benefit of farmers, fishermen at WTO: Goyal
- Sensex, Nifty settle at new closing high levels in first part of special live trading session
- Passive Income Streams
- Gas stoves create more nanoparticle pollution than a busy street with diesel and gas cars, study finds