The best portable air compressors for cars you can buy
- Portable air compressors are convenient for inflating or topping off car tires, no matter where you happen to be.
- You can also use many of these compressors to inflate air mattresses, sports equipment, and more.
- Our top pick, the EPAuto 12V DC Portable Air Compressor Pump, is a versatile portable air compressor equipped with valuable features like automatic shutoff and overheat protection.
Car tires have a way of leaking at the most inconvenient times, usually when you're nowhere near a gas station. I first purchased a portable air compressor for my car when I moved to a rural town, where the nearest gas station was a half-hour away. I've since relied on the compressor to top off the tires on my car, lawnmower, and trailer, as well as to inflate an air mattress. The compressor lives in my vehicle so it's always there in case I need it.
Whether you work on vehicles at home or need to maintain air pressure in your own car or lawn equipment, these portable air compressors are affordable and offer unbeatable convenience. Most of them are powered via a vehicle's power outlet (12V cigarette lighter socket). Outside of the car, with adapters, you can use them to inflate many different objects, from air mattresses and sports balls to pool floats and more. Many of these air compressors can also be stored in a car trunk, ensuring you're able to fill up a leaking tire no matter how far you are from a gas station.
Our top picks in this list have been evaluated according to the compressor's quality, performance, versatility, and value. This list includes a budget compressor to have on a just-in-case basis and a heavier-duty option for more demanding jobs. Our top pick strikes a great balance with an affordable price, overall durability, and some valuable features that contribute to its overall performance.
Please be sure to read the directions that come with any product you purchase. Some of these compressors require your vehicle to be running in order to power the compressor (and to prevent your battery from dying). You should also verify if a compressor offers overheat protection; if not, time your usage so you don't overheat the motor.
Here are the best portable air compressors for cars you can buy:
- Best portable air compressor overall: EPAuto 12V DC Portable Air Compressor Pump
- Best compact portable air compressor: P.I. Auto Store Premium Air Compressor
- Best budget air compressor: DBPower 12V DC Portable Electric Auto Air Compressor Pump
- Best cordless air compressor: Ryobi P737 Portable Cordless Power Inflator
- Best heavy-duty air compressor: Slime Heavy Duty 2X Pro Power Tire Inflator
Keep scrolling to read more about our top picks.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.
The best overall
The best budget air compressor
The best compact air compressor
The best cordless air compressor
The best heavy-duty air compressor
- Survey shows people find no improvement in public toilets across country
- Sebi extends deadline for listed cos to confirm or deny market rumours
- Tom Hanks, a dental plan promotion and an AI
- New 'inverse vaccine' shows potential to treat multiple sclerosis, diabetes: Study
- TDP leaders stage hunger strike In Delhi against arrest of Chandrababu Naidu