The best thermostats you can buy
Insider Picks writes about products and services to help you navigate when shopping online. Insider Inc. receives a commission from our affiliate partners when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
- A good thermostat can help you save money on your heating and cooling costs.
- Based on our research, the Nest Learning Thermostat 3rd Generation is the best thermostat you can buy. Nest saves you so much money with its smart features, it pays for itself.
Your thermostat regulates more than just your heating and cooling - it also regulates your comfort and your budget. Outdated thermostats can keep you too hot or too cold, which is simply uncomfortable and can actually cause some health problems in the long term.
Newer thermostats, even the most basic ones, are built with the latest technology that makes them better able to control temperature, and thus, your comfort. When you consider that new energy-saving thermostats can slash your energy bills by upward of 20%, upgrading seems like a no-brainer.
Beyond the money factor, you deserve to be comfortable in your own home. To get a comfortable home temperature, a proper, up-to-date thermostat is a must. And if you're willing to pay more upfront, smart thermostat models offer convenience and handy features, such as Amazon Alexa integration to help you cut back on your energy costs.
Types of Thermostats
- Mechanical thermostats are the earliest version of thermostats that use a bimetallic strip to detect and adjust the temperature. They're the least expensive model and are often found in older apartments.
- Non-programmable thermostats require direct human intervention to adjust the temperature settings but usually have a digital operation. They are relatively inexpensive but don't do much to help reduce energy bills.
- Programmable Thermostats adjust the temperatures automatically based on preset preferences. In addition to being convenient and time-saving, programmable thermostats help you save quite a lot in energy bills.
- Wireless thermostats give you the ability to adjust temperature levels remotely. The price is a little steeper, but they deliver exceptional functionality and help you cut back on energy costs. They're also useful if you have pets or handicapped or elderly individuals in your home.
- Smart thermostats learn your temperature preferences throughout the day and smartly adjust temperatures for you. The best models can sense when there is no movement in the house, or in a room, and adjust the temperature accordingly. They usually have remote access and other handy features such as voice control. They're more expensive but will generally save you the most in your heating and cooling bills.
The picks below are chosen based on research, expert analysis, and tech review site lists of the best thermostats. We also took into consideration buyer reviews and Amazon bestseller rankings.
These thermostats are intended for commercial, rather than industrial use, but are suitable for homes of any size, ranging from studio apartments to large, multi-story houses. Although the big buzz around heating and cooling these days is with smart thermostats, we included various types of thermostats in our guide, ranging from the most basic to the smartest, to accommodate various budgets.
Here are the best thermostats you can buy:
- Best thermostat overall: Nest Learning Thermostat 3rd Generation
- Best budget programmable thermostat: Lux Products TX500U Universal 5-2 Programmable Thermostat
- Best Wi-Fi thermostat: Sensi Smart Thermostat
- Best thermostat that's also a smart speaker: Ecobee4 Smart Thermostat
- Best budget nonprogrammable thermostat: Honeywell TH3110D1008 Pro Non-Programmable Digital Thermostat
Updated on 05/03/2019 by Les Shu: Updated links, formatting, and prices. Added information about Nest Thermostat E.
Keep scrolling to read more details about our top picks.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The best thermostat overall
The best budget programmable thermostat
The best Wi-Fi thermostat
The best thermostat that's also a smart speaker
The best non-programmable thermostat on a budget
How to pick a good thermostat
- ICICI Bank market-cap hits ₹6 lakh crore as its stock rises to a record high
- Jio, Airtel could emerge stronger weakening Vodafone Idea further, say analysts
- Foreign investors pour over Rs 12,000 cr in Indian equity in last 10 days
- IPO-bound OYO acquires Denmark's holiday home chain Bornholmske Feriehuse
- Sensex rallies 580 points, buoyed by intense buying in IT, bank stocks