The best women's rain boots you can buy
Insider Picks writes about products and services to help you navigate when shopping online. Insider Inc. receives a commission from our affiliate partners when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
- Rain boots don't have to be ugly.
- We did the research and testing to find the best rain boots that are both good looking and functional.
- For all-weather durability, a reasonable price point, well-designed construction, and a comfortable fit, you can't beat the cute Sperry Top-Sider Saltwater Rope Emboss Neoprene Rain Boots.
Chances are, you've likely been caught in rainy situations where you weren't equipped with proper footwear. It is why rain boots are an essential part of your shoe closet. They may not be the kinds of shoes you'll need to wear every day (or, at least, we're hoping they won't need to be), but it's ideal to be prepared with a solid pair for when unsavory wet weather hits.
There are a plethora of rugged, workwear-style rain boots on the market that may be better suited for the likes of outdoor workers or those who live in, say, tropical storm-prone areas. But for the purposes of this particular shopping guide, we're focusing on rain boots for the everyday woman.
For instance, the following water-resistant shoes are great if you need to get from home to the office or run an errand around town, but they may not be ideal if you need to sludge through knee-deep mud or cross shallow rivers. Consider the specific purposes your rain boots need to serve before deciding on a pair to buy.
In general, rain boots are tricky to review and there are no "perfect" styles. Rain boots are inherently uncomfortable, given their non-breathable materials - your feet will inevitably sweat if you have them on for too long, or they will feel damp if your socks happen to get wet. Some styles include a thick insulating lining or lambswool insoles, which may require you to size up if things feel tight. There are also styles that don't include any lining, which means you will have to figure out how thick you plan to wear your socks, which will also determine the sizing of your shoe.
Some styles look more chicly versatile, others are more practical. All this is to say, you need to figure out your personal preferences and how you plan to wear your boots before you buy a pair.
If attractiveness is a top priority and you reside in a climate where you need to ward off only the occasional light showers, there are stylish booties and sneakers with waterproof uppers that may satisfy your needs, without going the full-on "rubber boot" route. Look for styles that call themselves "waterproof," such as the Blondo's Liam Waterproof Suede Bootie ($130, at Zappos).
But for those of you who are looking for something more functional and substantial made with sturdier materials, there is sure to be a pair that speaks to you in this guide ahead.
Here are the best rain boots you can buy in 2019:
- Best rain boots overall: Sperry Top-Sider Saltwater Rope Emboss Neoprene Rain Boots
- Best ethically made rain boots: Everlane Rain Boots
- Best lightweight rain boots: Native AP Rain Boots
- Best rain boots under $50: Sam Edelman Tinsley Rain Boots
- Best rain boots for serious rainfall: Hunter Original Tall Rain Boots
- Best rain boots that aren't rubber: Timberland Women's Nellie Lace Up Utility Waterproof Boots
Updated on 03/21/2019 by Malarie Gokey: Updated prices, added a new pick, and updated formatting.
Read on in the slides below to check out our top picks.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The best rain boots overall
The best ethically made rain boots
The best lightweight rain boots
The best rain boots under $50
The best rain boots for serious rainfall
The best rain boots that aren't rubber
Check out our recommendations for the best umbrellas
- Byju's shareholders vote to remove CEO, family; company calls vote invalid
- Engaging with competent authorities, use only genuine cheese, says McDonald's
- Apple's India revenue up 42% to $8.7 bn in 2023: Morgan Stanley
- Reserve Bank asks NPCI to help continue operations of Paytm app
- Top 10 places to visit in Andhra Pradesh