The curveball interview question one exec always asks
But if you're interviewing with Karen Davis, SVP of Global Philanthropy and Social Impact at Hasbro, the toy and game giant, you might be caught off guard.
Her favorite question is one you might not expect from an interviewer. She tells Business Insider she likes to ask candidates: "What is your favorite quote?"
Her work is focused on giving back, she explains - a big part of her job is deciding which organizations and projects Hasbro will help fund - so she's looking for candidates with "a true sense of passion and purpose." The quote question, she says, helps her figure out who someone really is, and what they truly care about.
While there's no right answer, Davis is looking specifically for candidates with an answer.
"You think about the great leaders in this world, and the the ones that we remember most are the ones who have really put themselves out there, trying to invoke change," she says. She wants her would-be hires to be following in those footsteps. "I want to see that somebody has been looking for sources of inspiration."
One of her favorite answers, "Winners make it happen, losers let it happen," came from a candidate who ultimately didn't get hired - proving that even the best quote can't guarantee you the gig. But it can help.
"I think it's just one little way of seeing whether this is really part of someone's soul," she explains. "Have they really been following any of these great leaders and trying to understand what made them great?"
NOW WATCH: 5 things you should never put on your résumé
- Indian startup founders celebrate Paytm’s success as company posts first operating profit
- Kim Jong Un abruptly reappears after 36 days out of the spotlight and orders North Korea to 'prepare for war'
- OpenAI makes a ChatGPT-like tool called Codex that can write software. Here's why Codex won't replace developers and will instead create more demand for their skills.
- PM Modi endorses Indian Oil's 'Surya Nutan' solar cooker at India Energy Week! Should you switch?
- Adani Power's Q3 profit plunges 96% to Rs 9 cr as expenses rise
- After an Ather 450X catches fire, the company says its battery is safe — fire was due to a wiring harness issue
- CCTV camera for home with mobile connectivity for 2023
- Best smartwatches under ₹3000