The first time Bill Gates asked Melinda Gates out on a date, she turned him down
A few months later, Bill asked her out on a date.
"You know I was thinking maybe we could go out - if you give me your phone number - maybe two weeks from tonight," Bill said, according to an interview Melinda gave with AOL's Makers site.
"And I said to him, 'Two weeks from tonight? I have no idea what I'm doing two weeks from tonight.' And I said, 'You're not spontaneous enough for me.'"
But Bill wasn't ready to give up just yet.
"He called an hour later and said, 'Is this spontaneous enough for you?'" Melinda told Makers.
She agreed to the date. They were married in a secret ceremony on the island of Lanai on January 1, 1994, after seven years of dating.
The couple has three daughters together. Their work with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation has included everything from eradicating diseases across the world to developing sources of food for impoverished people.
- Here’s why there is less adoption of the new tax regime and how budget 2022 can make it more attractive
- A market guru explains why real estate, housing and textiles should get some budget boost
- From tax structure rationalisation to expanding EV charging infrastructure, here’s what the industry wants from Budget 2022
- Best smartphones with 3.5mm headphone jack
- Best budget feature-packed TVs in India