The first time Bill Gates asked Melinda Gates out on a date, she turned him down
A few months later, Bill asked her out on a date.
"You know I was thinking maybe we could go out - if you give me your phone number - maybe two weeks from tonight," Bill said, according to an interview Melinda gave with AOL's Makers site.
"And I said to him, 'Two weeks from tonight? I have no idea what I'm doing two weeks from tonight.' And I said, 'You're not spontaneous enough for me.'"
But Bill wasn't ready to give up just yet.
"He called an hour later and said, 'Is this spontaneous enough for you?'" Melinda told Makers.
She agreed to the date. They were married in a secret ceremony on the island of Lanai on January 1, 1994, after seven years of dating.
The couple has three daughters together. Their work with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation has included everything from eradicating diseases across the world to developing sources of food for impoverished people.
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- Sensex, Nifty50 likely to open in the red amid mixed global cues: Coal India, Tata Motors, HDFC Life among stocks to watch
- 10 Must-Do activities on your next Darjeeling Trip
- Govt received ₹1,70,501 crore in April as revenue
- Shubman Gill, Sunil Narine, Virat Kohli & more: IPL man of the series winners since 2008
- Five personal finance deadlines you can’t afford to miss in June