The Most Powerful Private Equity CEO In The World Uses A Cheap Flip Phone
AmazonStephen Schwarzman doesn't own an Apple iPhone, a Samsung Galaxy, or any smartphone for that matter.
As I was leaving the Dealbook Conference at One World Trade Thursday, I ended up in an elevator with the CEO of private equity behemoth Blackstone Group.
Schwarzman, who has an estimated net-worth $10.7 billion, pulled out a gray flip phone from his coat pocket.
I was shocked.
Business Insider has learned that the model of Schwarzman's phone is a Nokia 6350.
He actually prefers just a regular cell phone, according to a spokesperson.
"Steve uses his flip phone to make and get phone calls. It does that better and more easily than any other device. He has an iPad for everything else," a spokesperson for Schwarzman told Business Insider.
Ironically, as we were leaving the building, I overheard Schwarzman mention the poor cell service in the building.
Getty Images/ Rob Kim
He was right-the reception was terrible. I could barely make a call with my iPhone 5S (Only one went through).
Luckily, though, the wifi in the building was working great.
It's refreshing to see a billionaire who doesn't feel the need to carry a flashy smartphone. On the flip side, it's also nice knowing that it doesn't take a smartphone to make a billionaire.
- Sam Altman, who was already wealthy before starting OpenAI, reportedly doesn't own any equity in the company behind ChatGPT
- Five planets will stage a rare spectacular event in the night sky on March 28
- Elon Musk reportedly left OpenAI's board in 2018 after Sam Altman and other cofounders rejected his plan to run the company
- Crompton Greaves Consumer Electricals and kitchen appliance maker Butterfly announce merger
- ICMR comes up with first ethical guidelines for application of AI in biomedical research, healthcare
- Measures taken by IIFCL to keep bad loans under check: Parliamentary panel
- Microsoft adds 'AI-generated stories' to its Bing search
- Housing sales up 14% annually in Jan-Mar to 1.13 lakh units across top 7 cities: Anarock