The Most Powerful Private Equity CEO In The World Uses A Cheap Flip Phone
AmazonStephen Schwarzman doesn't own an Apple iPhone, a Samsung Galaxy, or any smartphone for that matter.
As I was leaving the Dealbook Conference at One World Trade Thursday, I ended up in an elevator with the CEO of private equity behemoth Blackstone Group.
Schwarzman, who has an estimated net-worth $10.7 billion, pulled out a gray flip phone from his coat pocket.
I was shocked.
Business Insider has learned that the model of Schwarzman's phone is a Nokia 6350.
He actually prefers just a regular cell phone, according to a spokesperson.
"Steve uses his flip phone to make and get phone calls. It does that better and more easily than any other device. He has an iPad for everything else," a spokesperson for Schwarzman told Business Insider.
Ironically, as we were leaving the building, I overheard Schwarzman mention the poor cell service in the building.
Getty Images/ Rob Kim
He was right-the reception was terrible. I could barely make a call with my iPhone 5S (Only one went through).
Luckily, though, the wifi in the building was working great.
It's refreshing to see a billionaire who doesn't feel the need to carry a flashy smartphone. On the flip side, it's also nice knowing that it doesn't take a smartphone to make a billionaire.
- Air Canada, Emirates, Air India and other airlines resume flights to Toronto and the tickets are priced up to ₹5 lakh
- I flew on a $65 million Gulfstream G650ER private jet and saw why it's a favorite of tech billionaires like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos
- The collapse of Evergrande, one of China’s largest home developers, is “not a Lehman moment” but the fear may haunt steel and metal stocks in India
- IRCTC, IndiaMART, Cummins India and others have been under pressure in the last 5 days but still worth buying
- Noise ropes in Taapsee Pannu as its brand ambassador for smart wearables
- Online fantasy gaming startup earns almost five times Dhoni's Chennai Super Kings
- Samsung's first F-series phone with 5G support, Galaxy F42, to launch soon
- 2021 Yamaha R15 V4.0, R15M, Aerox 155 launched in India — all you need to know