The towering artwork and wild structures of Burning Man are already taking shape - take a look
- Burning Man, the nine-day event that lures more than 70,000 people to Black Rock City, Nevada, officially began on Sunday.
- Art is an integral part of Burning Man - unique art structures and enormous installations are built on the playa annually.
- The art theme for Burning Man 2019 is metamorphoses.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Burning Man 2019 is underway, and with it comes the unbelievable art installations that are a hallmark of the event.
Art is an integral part of Black Rock City, which is the Burning Man community constructed in the middle of the Nevada desert. Unique art structures and enormous installations are built on the playa annually, and this year's artwork follows the theme of metamorphoses.
"Two thousand years before Kafka's Gregor Samsa woke up as a cockroach, Ovid, the literary bad boy of First Century Rome, was writing about metamorphoses dire and diverse," says Burning Man's explanation for its 2019 art theme.
"Burning Man is a million stories, and the through-line across them all is change," the explanation continues. "Transformation happens whether we believe in it or not; but if we have learned anything in our Burning Man experience it is that we do have a say in our own futures, that agency is ours if we choose to pursue it."
For the uninitiated, Burning Man is a nine-day art festival in the middle of the desert in Nevada. The festival has taken place every year since 1986, and includes performances, art installations, music, and partying. The event draws as many as 70,000 people, including celebrities, tech moguls, and everyone in between - attendees are known as Burners.
There's no money allowed at Burning Man, so attendees are asked to barter or give gifts in exchange for what they need, and because guests are asked to "leave no trace," everything attendees bring - including the art they built - they must also bring out.
Check out the metamorphoses-themed art, installations, and structures being constructed at Burning Man:
This is "The Folly," a carnival village.
This structure has ballet pointe shoes and a sewing machine for the forthcoming "Dreyma" dance performance project.
This is "the Man," which gets burned on Saturday — hence, "Burning Man."
Olivia Steele's "Art Park" has a burning sign reading "I wish you were here."
This is "Slonik," a 75-foot, neon green, inflatable elephant bringing attention to elephant abuse and endangerment in Africa and Asia.
"Playa Harvey" is a response to the now-annual "Playa Barbie" art installation.
This is titled "The Temple of Direction."
"Talking Heads" is an abstract, reflective statue.
Some of the art doesn't appear to have a name listed online, like this cabana with a chandelier ...
... or this pair of knee-less figurines cut like diamonds.
- Govt approves PLI scheme for making drones with outlay of Rs 120 cr, comes out with norms
- Apple transportation through drones to become reality in tribal Kinnaur district of HP
- Researchers develop device that uses sound waves to separate blood-based nanoparticles
- 5 Bihar villages to be developed into human-carnivore coexistence zone
- Delhi's air quality will likely improve from Sunday evening, says IMD
- Dharmaj Crop IPO
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Maruti Suzuki
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World