The ultimate guide to tipping in almost any situation
Knowing how much to tip can be a guessing game. It's more than just giving someone money for what you think they deserve - rather, it's fully completing a transaction.
The website Wait But Why broke down tipping norms based on conversations with over 100 service workers in New York City about their experiences, plus reader feedback from the site and industry research.
Below, find out how much customers usually tip, how much those tips contribute to peoples' salaries, and a few situational notes to keep in mind.
Dylan Roach/Business Insider
- A SpaceX flight attendant said Elon Musk exposed himself and propositioned her for sex, documents show. The company paid $250,000 for her silence.
- New York officials ban airports from charging up to $28 for a beer — a price tag they described as 'totally indefensible'
- How to use the realistic crying face filter on Snapchat
- Researchers develop a virus that works even when iPhone is switched off
- Supreme Court of India extends time for submitting Pegasus probe report
- Chopper services launched in Goa for tourists, locals
- Both Ambuja Cements and ACC are bet worth investing with strong parent Adani
- Reserve Bank to pay ₹30,307 crore dividend payment to Centre for FY22