The US may be on the verge of striking Syria - here's a look at its firepower in the region
The White House announced on Monday night that US intelligence services had spotted the Syrian regime potentially preparing for another chemical weapons attack.
"As we have previously stated, the United States is in Syria to eliminate the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria. If, however, Mr. Assad conducts another mass murder attack using chemical weapons, he and his military will pay a heavy price," read the statement.
With the USS George H.W. Bush aircraft carrier and its accompanying strike group in the Mediterranean, US Air Force presences in Qatar, Jordan, and Turkey, as well as forces on the ground, the US has a multitude of options for carrying out a strike in Syria, despite a heavy Russian presence and advanced missile defenses.
In the slides below, take a look at the US's firepower in the region.
- Former Lok Sabha speaker Manohar Joshi passes away at 86
- Which countries are most affected by severe seismic activity? New earthquake metric provides fresh perspective
- Exicom Tele-Systems to raise ₹429 cr via IPO; sets price band at ₹135-142/share
- Kawasaki Ninja 500 sports bike launched in India at ₹5.24 lakh
- Vodafone Idea board to meet on Feb 27 to consider fundraising proposal