The US may revisit military drafts. Here's what life is like in 10 countries that already have them
- A recent report shows that the US is looking into its draft program, weighing options from mandating service for women to getting rid of the draft altogether.
- While a reinvigorated draft may alarm US citizens, nearly 60 countries around the world still have some form of conscription.
- Some, like Israel, need the draft to ensure it can maintain its armed forces. Others, like China, often have enough recruits that a draft is unnecessary.
- Some countries, like Norway and Israel, have allowed transgender people to serve for decades.
- This is a look at 10 countries that still require every man, or every woman and man, to serve.
7. North Korea
10. Meanwhile, other countries like Taiwan are getting rid of conscription altogether.
Popular on BI
- Discover what's new in iOS 17: Your ultimate guide to the latest features
- Hyderabad-based ethnic retailer Sai Silks Kalamandir IPO subscribed 4.4x
- After JP Morgan, Indian bonds set to enter other global bond indices; capital raising for infra push to get a boost
- 10 calcium-rich foods to ward Off calcium deficiency
- Amazon introduces next-gen of Echo smart devices with new-age AI