The wealthy are spending less money on luxury, and it might signal another recession. From penthouses to classic cars, here's what's just not selling in 2019.
Sergei Karpukhin/Getty Images
- The wealthy are saving more and spending less, which could be a recession red flag, reported Robert Frank for CNBC.
- There have been declines in the luxury real estate, fashion, jewelry, art, and classic car markets.
- Tax changes, demographic shifts, and a rise in discreet wealth are some of the factors at play here.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The wealthy are saving more and spending less in luxury sectors like real estate, fashion, jewelry, art, and classic cars - and it could "trickle down" to a recession, reported Robert Frank for CNBC.
"If high-income consumers pull back any further on their spending, it will be a significant threat to the economic expansion," Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Analytics, told Frank.
There are several factors influencing this trend, including tax changes, according to Frank.
But it also signals a shift in demographics and the way the wealthy view status. Millennials are becoming prime consumers, and they're shopping differently and expressing different interests than generations before them. Meanwhile, the elite are investing in forms of discreet wealth, preferring to invest in intangible items like wellness over luxury goods.
Here's a closer look at some of the luxury markets seeing a slowdown in 2019.
- Govt approves PLI scheme for making drones with outlay of Rs 120 cr, comes out with norms
- Apple transportation through drones to become reality in tribal Kinnaur district of HP
- Researchers develop device that uses sound waves to separate blood-based nanoparticles
- 5 Bihar villages to be developed into human-carnivore coexistence zone
- Delhi's air quality will likely improve from Sunday evening, says IMD
- Dharmaj Crop IPO
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Maruti Suzuki
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World