The Winklevoss Twins Say They Own 1% Of All Bitcoins
It's all about Bitcoins lately, and the Winklevoss twins claim to own 1% of all Bitcoins in existence, Nathaniel Popper and Peter Lattman of the New York Times report.
"An array of speculators have now bid up the price of the
There are 10.8 million bitcoins out there, so that means the Winklevii own about 108,000 of them.
With the value of Bitcoins crashing since yesterday, it seems like a tough time to own that much of the popular digital currency. (On Wednesday morning it surged to $265, and then crashed to $105 before stabilizing at around $150.)
On the other hand, the Times notes that the 31-year old identical twins began buying up Bitcoins last summer. As of August 2012, the highest value Bitcoin reached was $15.40, so they are still sitting pretty.
Right now Mt. Gox, the world's largest Bitcoin exchange, has halted trading in the virtual currency until 10 PM ET "to allow the market to cooldown following the drop in price."
- WhatsApp introduces the “Message Yourself” feature, working on voice status updates and more
- Live your life American Express’ Platinum way: Exceptional privileges, rewards and experiences
- I'm a 56-year-old IT worker who got laid off last year and have been unemployed ever since. I have a hunch I'm not finding work due to ageism. How do I prove it?
- India will succeed in handling inflation better: Sitharaman
- India's GDP growth comes in at 6.3% in Q2: manufacturing, mining witness negative growth
- Dharmaj Crop Guard IPO subscribed by a whole 35.49 times on last day
- Sensex, Nifty50 rewrite all-time highs yet again – RIL, HDFC twins most active, ICICI Bank touches new 52-week high
- Bollywood films failing is a phase, our films will bounce back strongly: Kajol