7 ways millennials are changing marriage, from signing prenups to staying together longer than past generations
Uriel Sinai/Getty Images
- Millennials are being strategic when it comes to love, and it's changing marriage.
- Millennials fear getting divorced and are financially burdened, so they're marrying later in life as they take time to get to know their partner, accumulate assets, and become financially successful.
- But some millennials aren't getting married at all - and it's causing the marriage rate to decline.
- Visit BusinessInsider.com for more stories.
Marriage is getting a generational facelift.
The reasons are many.
Often the children of divorce themselves, millennials fear going through a divorce themselves. So, they're being strategic when it comes to love. They're taking more time to find the right partner, cohabitating before legally committing, and signing prenups to protect their assets. As a result, they're bringing the divorce rate down.
Millennials are also delaying marriage for economic reasons - burdened with financial struggles like debt, they want to become financially successful first. And because more couples are coming together from different cultural or religious backgrounds, they're more likely to pay for multiple ceremonies.
But that's for those millennials who do marry - the generation is also bringing the marriage rate down.
From love to weddings, see how millennials are evolving marriage.
Millennials are fueling a declining divorce rate.
Millennials are marrying at a later age.
Millennials are cohabitating and even buying homes together before marriage.
More millennials aren't marrying at all.
More millennials are signing prenups before getting married.
More millennials are having multiple wedding ceremonies.
Millennials are having more nontraditional weddings.
- Impact of AI on Customer Service
- Bengaluru cafe blast: Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah to chair meeting with top police officials today
- India retains full policy space for benefit of farmers, fishermen at WTO: Goyal
- Sensex, Nifty settle at new closing high levels in first part of special live trading session
- Passive Income Streams