7 private islands in the US that you can actually afford to buy
A private island in Maine.
- Business Insider has rounded up seven private islands in the US that are currently on the market for less than $450,000 apiece.
- The islands are currently listed on the website Private Islands Inc.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
You don't need to be rich to own a private island.
In fact, owning a private island in the US can be cheaper than owning a median-valued home in some of the country's most expensive housing markets.
For those outside-of-the-box homebuyers looking to invest in unique and affordable real estate, you're in luck. Business Insider has rounded up seven private islands in the US that are currently on the market for less than $450,000 each.
The seven private islands are ranked from least to most expensive and are currently listed on the website Private Islands Inc. They include everything from an undeveloped island in South Jersey to an island that includes a fully furnished, two-bedroom cottage in Michigan.
Keep reading for the full list.
1. No Mans Island in Middle Township, New Jersey, is on the market for $200,000.
The 19-acre island is undeveloped. According to the listing, it's currently three feet above the water (even lower in some areas) but can be raised if the buyer acquires the proper permits.
No Mans Island is located near Wildwood, a popular Jersey Shore beach town. It's also around 40 miles south of Atlantic City and about 13 miles north of Cape May.
2. Stono Island in South Carolina is around 11 miles from Charleston — the largest city in the state.
Stono Island is made up of two private islets that are connected by a long boardwalk. It's currently on the market for $297,000.
On the larger of the two islets, there's a small cabin which, according to the listing, includes a wood burning stove and a screened-in porch.
3. Also for sale in South Carolina is Gullah Island. It sits right off the Cooper River in Beaufort County.
The property spans 2.92 acres and is currently on the market for $299,000.
According to the listing, Gullah Island is partially developed and has been owned by the same family for nearly 25 years.
4. Fairy Island in Walworth County, Wisconsin, is on the market for $350,000.
The one-acre island sits on Booth Lake and is around 40 miles from Milwaukee.
It comes with a 40-foot-long pier and a two-bedroom cottage that, according to the listing, has recently been remodeled.
5. Over in Maine and off the shore of Vinalhaven Island sits Greer Island. It spans five acres and is currently on the market for $395,000.
When it's low tide, a sand bar appears and connects the island to Vinalhaven's sand beach.
According to the listing, there is a small building at the edge of the island that can be refurbished.
6. Majestic Island in Dodge County, Wisconsin, is on the market for $429,000.
The roughly one-acre island sits in the Beaver Dam Lake in Dodge County.
On it, there's a one-bedroom, one-bathroom cottage with a screened-in porch. In addition, the family room includes a hide-a-bed sofa. According to the listing, the home is offered fully furnished and a pontoon boat is included in the sale.
7. Howard Island, which sits off the shore of Drummond Island in Michigan, is currently on the market for $449,000.
The island spans two acres.
According to the listing, it includes a two-bedroom cottage, a garage, and a guest house which is located in the woods and can sleep up to four people.
- Which countries are most affected by severe seismic activity? New earthquake metric provides fresh perspective
- Exicom Tele-Systems to raise ₹429 cr via IPO; sets price band at ₹135-142/share
- Kawasaki Ninja 500 sports bike launched in India at ₹5.24 lakh
- Vodafone Idea board to meet on Feb 27 to consider fundraising proposal
- Stocks rebound: Sensex jumps over 500 points, Nifty hits fresh high