A Carnival cruise passenger died snorkeling in the ocean while on an expedition in Mystery Island
- A passenger touring on a Carnival cruise had died during an expedition in Mystery Island.
- The passenger died while snorkeling, per a report by Australian outlet 7News.
A passenger traveling on a Carnival cruise ship has died while on an expedition in Vanuatu, an island country in the South Pacific Ocean.
The passenger died while snorkeling on Mystery Island, an uninhabited islet in Vanuatu, according to a report by the local news outlet 7News, citing a passenger on board. The Australian passenger was not identified in the report.
"Carnival Cruise Line is deeply saddened by the death of a guest on Mystery Island, following what appears to be a medical situation while swimming," Carnival Australia said in a statement, per the report, adding that the cruise line is "supporting the guest's family along with other guests during this difficult time."
The passenger was traveling on the Carnival Splendor cruise ship, which was scheduled for a nine-day sail in the Pacific Ocean. The cruise departed Sydney on May 15.
Five days into the cruise, the passenger died, Carnival Australia told 7News. The cruise returned to Sydney on Tuesday.
The next Carnival Splendor is scheduled to begin on May 28, according to Cruise Hive. The 12-night sail in the Pacific Ocean visits islands in New Caledonia and Vanuatu. The sail's itinerary also notes a stop at Mystery Island.
In recent years, several cruise passengers have died while snorkeling during island expeditions. In September, an American passenger on a Royal Caribbean cruise was killed after being attacked by a bull shark while snorkeling in the Bahamas. Another passenger, who was touring with P&O's Brittania cruise ship, died while snorkeling in St. Kitts in March, per Yahoo News.
Carnival did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment, which was sent after office hours.
- Astronomers find planet that seems too humongous to be orbiting its parent star!
- Penguins employ thousands of microsleeps to achieve 11 hours' slumber daily!
- Ashok Gehlot: Magician leaves centre stage in Rajasthan
- Trauma made Abrar an 'Animal': Bobby Deol on his negative role
- Victory of Modi's guarantees, say BJP leaders as party sweeps states states