A Michigan startup doubled a Tesla's range by customizing it with a special battery
- Our Next Energy took a
TeslaModel S on a 752-mile road trip on a single charge.
- The startup claims that its battery prototype has nearly twice the energy capacity and density of the 2021 Model S battery.
A startup claims that its new battery can double a Tesla's range.
Our Next Energy (ONE), a Michigan startup, fitted a 2021 Tesla Model S with its own experimental battery and took the electric car on a road trip across the state in December. The prototype battery completed a 752-mile road trip in the dead of winter without stopping to recharge once, according to the company.
The company said that the average speed of the trip was 55 miles per hour and that the results were validated by a third party using a dynamometer, a device designed to measure the power of an engine.
ONE said the road test set a new industry record and was performed to demonstrate the power of their battery.
"We want to accelerate the adoption of electric vehicles by eliminating range anxiety, which holds back most consumers today," the founder and CEO of ONE, Mujeeb Ijaz said. "We are now focused on evolving this proof-of-concept battery into a new product called Gemini™, which will enable long distance trips on a single charge while improving cost and safety using sustainable materials."
Driving-range anxiety has been identified as one of the main issues the US faces when it comes to the electrification of
ONE's 752-mile battery range would represent about twice the range of current Tesla models and would be well above the new benchmark set by Mercedes EQS — a car that made headlines in November when it beat Tesla in a battery range test, driving 422 miles on a single charge.
ONE said that its project didn't alter the Model S's efficiency and only added a battery with a higher capacity. The startup claims that its battery has an energy capacity and density that is nearly twice that of the original 2021 Model S battery pack.
The company said that it plans to begin production of its first battery pack later this year.
- Life and times of Rakesh Jhunjhunwala — the man behind the trader
- A 29-year-old woman found a mark on her head and was diagnosed with a fungal infection. It turned out to be invasive skin cancer.
- JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon told wealthy clients there's a chance the US is heading into 'something worse' than a recession, report says
- Apple lays off 100 contract recruiters: Report
- Brazil and Argentina not to replay Football World Cup qualifier
- Tamil Nadu to float tender for setting up 100 EV charging stations along highways
- World's biggest cities face worst air quality: Report
- An 87-year-old woman pulls a Tony Stark by giving a speech at her funeral via AI-powered holograph