Chefs say there are only 3 reasons to ever toast a fresh bagel
- Insider spoke to chefs who said a fresh
bagelshould almost never be toasted because doing so can mess with its flavor and texture.
- If you're planning to eat a bagel that's not fresh, toasting can improve its taste and provide you with both a crunchy crust and a soft interior.
- If you plan on loading your bagel with toppings, you'll want to toast it so it doesn't get soggy.
Many people enjoy doughy, delicious bagels - but not everyone agrees on how they should be eaten.
New Yorkers and breakfast lovers alike have long-debated whether or not
Simply put, fresh bagels should almost never be toasted
The chefs Insider spoke to all agreed that toasting a freshly baked bagel is both unnecessary and possibly harmful to the
He said a "bagel is a special thing" that should be enjoyed as-is when it's fresh and still in its prime.Chef Melissa Weller, head baker at High Street on Hudson in New York City, agreed, noting that toasting is really only helpful when a bagel isn't at its absolute freshest point. "When it's a well-made bagel, you should toast only once it begins to [get] stale, which is usually two to three hours after it comes out of the oven," Weller told Insider. "Once it is stale, you should always toast a bagel."
But if your bagel isn't as fresh as you'd like, toasting can help revive it
Weller said somewhat stale bagels and mass-produced ones can always benefit from a quick visit to the toaster.
Jayda Atkinson, chef at Fork and Boot in New Orleans, Louisiana, agreed that toasting a bagel can boost its texture and flavor quality, telling Insider that "something about the crispy edges and chewy insides makes a perfect bagel."
Toasting can also highlight the flavors of certain types of bagelsFreshness aside, certain flavors and styles of bagels reap greater gains from toasting than others.
According to Kaley Laird, executive pastry chef of Rhubarb, The Rhu, and Benne on Eagle in Asheville, North Carolina, bagels that have a sourdough base could benefit from a trip to the toaster, as the heat can help enhance their flavors.
And if you're using your bagel as an element of a larger dish, toasting is usually the way to goChef Lauren Shockey, a food writer and cookbook author.
By toasting a bagel that you plan to top with sauce, cold cuts, lettuce, or other somewhat moist toppings, you can ensure that your base stays firm and crisp.Read More:
- SBI, Airtel, Adani Enterprises, TCS and other top stocks to watch out for on August 4
- Krsnaa Diagnostics IPO opens—here is all you need to know
- These are some of the highest paid founders of Indian startups tapping capital markets this year
- Exxaro Tiles IPO opens today—here’s how to apply for IPO, check allotment status, listing date and more
- Devyani International IPO: Here’s how to apply via banks and apps like Zerodha, Upstox