Disney World's Splash Mountain will officially close in January to become a new ride based on 'The Princess and the Frog'
- Disney World's Splash Mountain will oficially close in January.
- A new ride, Tiana's Bayou Adventure, will open in its place in late 2024.
Disney World announced it will close Splash Mountain in January to create a new ride based on "The Princess and the Frog."
Splash Mountain will officially close on January 23, 2023 for renovation. The ride is currently based on the 1946 film "Song of the South," which has long been criticized for its racial stereotypes and depictions of plantation life.
The new ride, called Tiana's Bayou Adventure, will open at Disneyland and Disney World in late 2024, according to USA Today. There are no plans to make changes to the Splash Moutnain ride at the Tokye Disney Resort.
Disney CEO Bob Iger said that he didn't think "Song of the South" was appropriate in the current day at a shareholder meeting in 2020, according to USA Today.
"I've felt, as long as I've been CEO, that 'Song of the South' was – even with a disclaimer – was just not appropriate in today's world," Iger said.
A 2019 petition to re-theme Splash Mountain to be based on "The Princess and the Frog" gained more than 21,000 signatures.
"Disney has removed Song of the South from its library, refusing to share it on DVD or their streaming services. The best next step to remove all traces of this racist movie would be to re-theme Splash Mountain into a Princess and the Frog themed ride," the petition said.
- Indian startup founders celebrate Paytm’s success as company posts first operating profit
- Kim Jong Un abruptly reappears after 36 days out of the spotlight and orders North Korea to 'prepare for war'
- OpenAI makes a ChatGPT-like tool called Codex that can write software. Here's why Codex won't replace developers and will instead create more demand for their skills.
- PM Modi endorses Indian Oil's 'Surya Nutan' solar cooker at India Energy Week! Should you switch?
- Adani Power's Q3 profit plunges 96% to Rs 9 cr as expenses rise
- After an Ather 450X catches fire, the company says its battery is safe — fire was due to a wiring harness issue
- CCTV camera for home with mobile connectivity for 2023
- Best smartwatches under ₹3000