Elon Musk's Boring Company has submitted a proposal for a 6.2-mile underground transit system in Miami
- Elon Musk's The Boring Company has submitted plans to build a 6.2-mile tunnel transit system in
- A proposal for the North
Miami BeachLoop, seen exclusively by Insider, shows it would have seven stations.
Elon Musk's The Boring Company has submitted a proposal to construct a 6.2-mile underground transit system in Miami, Insider can reveal.
The North Miami Beach Loop would ferry
The Boring Company estimated that the loop would initially be able to carry more than 7,500 passengers per hour, and could be scaled to carry more than 15,000 per hour.
The estimated cost of the project was put at $185 million to $220 million, per The Boring Company's proposal. It predicts that construction would take fewer than three years if the permitting process was expedited.
The proposal also recommends several potential extensions to the 6.2-mile North Miami Beach Loop, including a 3-mile connection to Hard Rock Stadium and a 1.8-mile link to
"We have a lot of traffic congestion and this would be a way of alleviating a great deal of that traffic," North Miami Beach commissioner Michael Joseph said in an interview with Insider.
Commuters and visitors would benefit from having the tunnel network connecting the city center to the beach, Joseph said.
He said the estimated cost per mile of the North Miami Beach Loop would be "a fraction of what is seen in other types of mass transit projects proposed in South Florida, while the construction would not be as disruptive to the local economy."
Joseph said the city was trying to obtain funding for the loop, and was seeking finance from regional, state, and federal governments.
The Boring Company didn't immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
In March 2021, Joseph told Insider's Grace Kay that he had spoken to The Boring Company several times about an underground transit system, and had submitted a working paper to the tunneling firm for review.
The North Miami Beach Loop wouldn't be as extensive as the Vegas Loop, a 29-mile tunnel system that is under construction by The Boring Company. The Vegas Loop is expected to connect Teslas to more than 50 stations across Las Vegas, per The Boring Company's website.
The Boring Company's first underground transport system, the Las Vegas Convention Center Loop, opened in April 2021. The 1.7-mile tunnel network has three stops.
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Linda Yaccarino to take over as new Twitter CEO on Monday, hires key aide
- Sensex, Nifty50 likely to open in the green amid positive global cues: Wipro, Hero MotoCorp, SBI Life among stocks to watch
- OPEC Plus will continue oil output cuts as prices remain unchanged
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238