Former SpaceX rocket engineers plan to build and sell a $300,000 electric speedboat that can reach 40 miles per hour and run for 5 hours per charge
SpaceXengineers are building a commercial electric speedboat called the Arc One.
- The boats, designed to reach speeds of 40 miles per hour, will sell for $300,000, the company said.
- All of Arc's employees other than its CEO previously worked at SpaceX.
A team of former SpaceX
California startup called Arc said has raised $4.25 million in seed funding to build a 475-horsepower electric speedboat, Bloomberg first reported on Thursday.
Arc plans to sell its first model, Arc One, by the end of the year, the company confirmed to Insider. The 24-foot
You can reserve one of Arc's electric boats by putting down a fully refundable $1,000 deposit, according to Arc's website.
Arc CEO Mitch Lee, who is the only Arc employee to not work for SpaceX, told Bloomberg that "the amount of carryover between rocket-building and boat-building is actually surprisingly high."
Lee founded the startup with college friend Ryan Cook, he told Bloomberg.
After leaving his job at Boeing in 2013, Cook spent seven years working for Elon Musk's rocket company, SpaceX, as an engineer, according to his LinkedIn profile.
Kevin Wollscheid, Arc's lead manufacturing engineer, previously worked at SpaceX for six years, per his LinkedIn profile.
Audrey Gaither, a mechanical engineer at Arc, and Robert Binkowski, Arc's vehicle engineer, both worked at SpaceX as engineers before moving to the
Arc is facing competition from Swedish startup X Shore, which started selling electric boats in March for $329,000. Another Swedish company, Candela, also makes all-electric speedboats that can fly above the water.
- Air India passengers stranded in Siberia for 2 days were abandoned by the crew, had to sleep on the floor, and were only given bread and rice, relative says
- Foreign investors have been dumping vast amounts of Chinese assets, and putting money there will only get riskier
- As a mom, I know punishments don't work. Parents should be trying to find a connection instead.
- List of famous things to buy in Munnar
- Ads that sailed into the eye of a controversy
- India tops world ranking in digital payments, records 89.5 million transactions in 2022: MyGovIndia
- Will regulate AI and ensure it doesn't harm digital citizens: Rajeev Chandrasekhar
- Road accident death rate has dropped in Kerala after AI cameras became operational: Transport Minister