How to book an apartment on Sonder, the vacation rental company that combines hotel service with the feel of a private home
- Sonder is an apartment-rental company that offers rentals in properties it leases and manages.
- It's one of several new hybrid companies like Lyric and Blueground that combine elements of hotels and Airbnbs.
- In contrast to Airbnb, which is mainly made up of individual owners listing their homes and apartments, Sonder leases, designs, furnishes, and manages all of its apartments.
- Sonder has 9,000 properties in cities including New York City, Chicago, Washington D.C., San Diego, Austin, Miami, New Orleans, London, and Dubai.
- I recently booked a Sonder apartment in New York City - here's what it's like to make a reservation on its website.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Vacation rental startup Sonder claims to combine the best parts of a home and a hotel.In contrast to Airbnb, which is mainly made up of individual owners listing their homes and apartments, Sonder leases, designs, furnishes, and manages its apartments, which can be found in 26 cities in the US and abroad including New York City, Chicago, Washington D.C., San Diego, Denver, Austin, Miami, New Orleans, Montreal, London, and Dubai.Advertisement
The apartment-rental company operates hotel-type leases in residential buildings, which allows it to offer the "consistency and service of a great hotel" but "in a space that feels more like a home," according to the website.
Sonder apartments come with fully equipped kitchens and in-unit washers and dryers. Some also include access to building amenities such as game rooms and movie theaters. A 24-hour concierge service can be contacted via the Sonder app.Here's how to book a Sonder apartment.
Sonder is an apartment-rental company that claims to combine the best parts of a home and a hotel. It rents units in 26 cities in six countries.
Sonder claims to combine the best parts of home and hotel.Advertisement
To book an apartment through Sonder's website, you first enter the city you'll be staying in, the dates, and the number of guests.
Then, Sonder will show you a split page with available listings and their locations on the map of the city.Advertisement
When you click on a listing, it will show you a photo slideshow of the apartment and a price breakdown ...
... as well as details about amenities, number of bedrooms, parking, accessibility, and more.Advertisement
Once you select a listing, Sonder will ask you to confirm your birthday.
Next, you'll enter your email and text message and wait for Sonder to send you verification codes.Advertisement
You'll also need to verify your address.
Once these three verifications are completed, you can proceed to the payment section.Advertisement
Sonder accepts Visa, MasterCard, and AmEx.
After confirming your payment information, your Sonder booking is complete.Advertisement
Once you've booked your Sonder apartment, you'll get an email with a confirmation code and a prompt to download the Sonder app.
Three days before your stay, you'll get an email with detailed check-in instructions.Advertisement
When you log in to your Sonder account on the app, you'll find all the necessary information about your upcoming stay.
It includes check-in instructions, luggage storage options, and parking options.Advertisement
You'll also find check-out information.
While Sonder may seem like an Airbnb competitor, you can actually book Sonder apartments via Airbnb as well.Advertisement
One thing to be wary of is that, like some of its competitors, Sonder's advertised fees are not the same as your final fees. Sonder charges a cleaning fee that I found to be pretty steep for a single night.
- Chhattisgarh records 2,551 new COVID-19 cases, 29 deaths
- Ahmedabad reports 193 new COVID-19 cases, 256 recoveries
- Mahatma Gandhi Jayanti - Interesting facts about the 'father of the nation'
- 1,108 COVID-19 cases in Nashik, tally reaches 76,984
- Surat district records 288 COVID-19 cases, 299 recoveries