Kat Von D says she's throwing out books about witchcraft and the macabre after a series of other major life changes
- Kat Von D shared an Instagram post about throwing out books that "don't align" with who she is.
- According to a photo she shared, those books discuss witchcraft and the macabre, among other topics.
Kat Von D has made another significant life change.
The tattoo artist shared in an Instagram post on Thursday that she's throwing out books about witchcraft, magic, and the macabre because they "don't align" with who she wants to be.
This seems to be a major departure for Von D, since these themes have long been a part of her aesthetic and brands. Von D's former beauty brand offered a tarot-inspired collection and a black lipstick color named "Witches," for example, and her current shoe line offers a coffin-shaped wallet.
"I've always found beauty in the macabre, but at this point, I just had to ask myself what is my relationship with this content?" she wrote on Instagram. "And the truth is, I just don't want to invite any of these things into our family's lives, even if it comes disguised in beautiful covers, collecting dust on my shelves."
Von D included photos in the post of the books she tossed and opened up about having "pretty meaningful realizations" in recent years, with "many of them revolving around the fact" that she says she "got a lot of things wrong" in her past.
The former makeup mogul also noted that she didn't want her post to seem critical of people who enjoy those topics, despite her feelings about them.
"But right now, it's never been more clear to me that there is a spiritual battle taking place, and I want to surround myself and my family with love and light," she continued.
Von D's announcement might seem surprising since she's widely known for her gothic aesthetic, but the controversial figure has previously discussed other transformations she's made in recent years.
Weeks after selling her shares of her namesake beauty brand in January 2020, Von D started covering tattoos on her arms with black ink. At the time, she said the tattoos "meant nothing" to her, as she got them before becoming sober.
Von D announced in December 2020 that she bought a home in Indiana to escape California's taxes, "terrible policies," and "tyrannical government."
More recently, Von D closed her famous tattoo shop, covered more of her tattoos, and listed her California mansion for more than $12 million.
Representatives for Kat Von D did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Two Mukesh Ambani-owned companies are among India’s top 5 valuable brands
- TVS, Ather, Ola hike prices of electric two-wheelers as new subsidy norms kick in
- IKIO Lighting sets IPO price band at ₹270-285/share
- Royal Enfield sales rise 22% in May at 77,461 units
- GST collection rises 12% to ₹1.57 lakh crore in May