Loyal Tina Turner fans are paying tribute to her by dancing to her music, and their children are capturing it on TikTok
- Singer Tina Turner died on May 24, aged 83.
- On TikTok, some younger users have been filming their parents' reaction to the singer's death.
TikToker's are capturing their parents paying tribute to Tina Turner after hearing the news about the iconic singer's death.
"Mum's reaction after hearing Tina's news," reads the caption on one video posted on May 25 where a woman can be seen dancing along to the tune of Turner's hit song "The Best."
"To Tina," the woman says in the clip, raising a wine glass in the air.
Commenters under the video, which has received 475,000 views, said they loved watching the TikToker's mom celebrating the singer's life in this way.
"Tina wouldn't want anything else," the top comment under the post read.
@ab1627 Rip tina xx #tinaturner #simplythebest #fypシ #fyp ♬ original sound - alice
A number of other TikTokers captured their parents and family members dancing to Turner's music as a way of paying tribute to her, while others filmed themselves telling their loved ones about the singer's death and waiting for their stunned responses. Some refused to believe the news and were filmed turning to Google to get confirmation of the facts before believing what they were told.
"She's simply the best," one mom responded when she read about the news on her phone, referencing one of Turner's lyrics.
she thought I was pranking her♬ original sound - CURLZ
Many Gen Z TikTokers admitted that they weren't too familiar with Turner's music themselves, but had been engaging in conversations with their parents about why they loved the musician.
TikTok is often used as a platform for people to respond to the deaths of public figures. For example, when Queen Elizabeth II died in September, TikTokers filmed their live reaction to the news and also paid tribute to her on the app by resurfacing old footage of her life and reign as Britain's monarch.
@brown.skin.giirrll We always love the true queen of rock n roll!️❤️ #tinaturner #rock #rocknroll #music #dance #legend #iconic #queen #history #vocals #song #fyp #tiktok #viral #video #momsoftiktok #kidsoftiktok #foryou #foryoupage #motivation ♬ original sound - Ashley Chanél
On Wednesday, Turner's family announced she had "died peacefully" at her home in Switzerland at 83 after a "long illness."
The Grammy-winning music icon was known for hit songs like "What's Love Got to Do With It," "Private Dancer," and "Better Be Good to Me."
For more stories like this, check out coverage from Insider's Digital Culture team here.
- Air India passengers stranded in Siberia for 2 days were abandoned by the crew, had to sleep on the floor, and were only given bread and rice, relative says
- Foreign investors have been dumping vast amounts of Chinese assets, and putting money there will only get riskier
- Trump acted like 'the Godfather if it was reenacted by a 5-year-old' to try to keep his hands clean in Mar-a-Lago case: experts
- A complete itinerary for your 3 days in Srinagar
- List of famous things to buy in Munnar
- Ads that sailed into the eye of a controversy
- India tops world ranking in digital payments, records 89.5 million transactions in 2022: MyGovIndia
- Will regulate AI and ensure it doesn't harm digital citizens: Rajeev Chandrasekhar