Norwegian Air abandons long-haul flights, ending its $100 travel between the US and Europe
Norwegian Airon Thursday announced plans to cut its cheap transatlantic flights between the US and Europe.
- The plans would cut Norwegian's fleet to just 50 aircraft from 140, it said.
- More than 1,000 people are expected to lose their jobs in the UK, along with a similar number in the US.
One of Europe's biggest airlines, Norwegian Air, plans to abandon long-haul flights between the US and Europe and focus on building a scaled-down European network as it struggles to stay afloat during the coronavirus crisis.
The airline said Thursday that it had restarted talks with the Norwegian government about financial aid for the restructuring plan.The proposal would cut Norwegian's fleet to about 50 aircraft from 140, it said.
"Future demand remains highly uncertain," the airline said. "Under these circumstances a long-haul operation is not viable for Norwegian, and these operations will not continue."It hopes to cut its debt to about 20 billion Norwegian crowns, or $2.4 billion, and to raise up to 5 billion crowns, or $591 million, through a mix of new shares and hybrid capital. About 1,100 crew members are expected to lose their jobs in the UK, along with similar numbers in France, Italy, Spain, and the US, The Independent reported Thursday.
The entire fleet of Norwegian's Boeing 787 Dreamliner fleet had been grounded since March, the low-cost airline said.Passengers whose future bookings have now been canceled "will be contacted directly and will be refunded," Norwegian said.
"Our short-haul network has always been the backbone of Norwegian and will form the basis of a future resilient
- IMF projects 11.5% growth rate for India in 2021, only major economy to record double digit growth
- Connaught Place to remain shut as farmers' tractor parade turns violent
- After violent clashes with police, farmers swarm Red Fort
- DMRC closed entry and exit gates of yellow, green, violet and blue lines in surge of farmers protest
- Delhi Police fires tear-gas shells on farmers near Akshardham temple and Sanjay Gandhi Transport Nagar