Princess Delphine of Belgium attended her first royal engagement since a DNA test forced the former king to recognize her as his daughter
Princess Delphineof Belgiumattended her first event as a royal on Wednesday.
- Delphine wore a colorful ensemble to observe a National Day military parade in Brussels.
- She received a title after a legal battle and a DNA test confirmed
King Albert IIis her father.
Princess Delphine of Belgium attended her first royal event since officially being recognized as the daughter of King Albert II and receiving her title.
Delphine, the previously secret daughter of the former king of Belgium, attended a National Day military parade outside the Royal Palace of Brussels alongside her husband, James O'Hare, and other members of the family on Wednesday, People reported.
The 52-year-old wore a purple-, turquoise-, and peach-patterned wrap dress with a matching hat to the event. While Delphine has attended royal events in the past, this is the first time she has done so as a princess, a title she was granted in October.
Insider's Samantha Grindell previously reported that Delphine had said since 2005 she was the daughter of King Albert II, with whom Baroness Sybille de Selys Longchamps long said she had an affair between 1966 and 1984, but was formally recognized as such only after a seven-year legal battle.
Albert denied she was his daughter until he received a court order to undertake a DNA test in January 2020 and was told he would have had to pay $5,586 for every day he did not provide a sample for the test.
According to BBC News, representatives for Albert released a statement upon learning that he was Delphine's father in January 2020.
The statement said he had "learnt the results of the DNA test ... [and] the scientific conclusions indicate that he is the biological father of Mrs Delphine Boël." The lawyers added that Albert now "accepts Delphine Boël becomes his fourth child."
After Albert's admission, Delphine petitioned a Brussels court to allow her the same privileges as his other children, which she was granted along with a royal title on October 1, Insider previously reported.
Delphine met with her father for the first time in October, as well as his wife, Queen Paola, according to the local newspaper De Standaard. The royal couple have three children together: King Philippe, Princess Astrid, and Prince Laurent.
In a jointly signed press release, Delphine, Albert, and Paola described the meeting as "a new chapter, rich in emotions, peace of mind, understanding and hope," De Standaard reported at the time.
"After the tumult, the suffering and the wounds, it is time for forgiveness, healing and reconciliation," the statement said. "Together we have decided to take this new path. This will take patience and effort, but we are determined. These are the first steps on a path that we will walk in peace."
Representatives for the Royal Palace of Brussels did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- This frequent flyer who's been 'skiplagging' for a decade says she has 'no remorse and no angst'
- Personal trainer Kelsey Wells' protein-packed go-to smoothie is a 'meal in a cup' that tastes like cookie batter
- These are must to do activities in Shimla on your next visit
- ONGC to invest ₹1 lakh cr in energy transition, targets net-zero by 2038
- List of famous things to buy in Shimla
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI
- Screen-sharing and usernames on WhatsApp soon: All you need to know