Chevy just unveiled a $30,000 electric SUV coming next year. See the 10 cheapest EVs on the market right now.
- Chevrolet unveiled the Equinox EV, a small electric SUV that will start at $30,000 and go on sale next year.
- The cheapest
electric carsyou can buy in 2022 include the Ford F-150 Lightning, Chevy Bolt EV, and Kia EV6.
Looking to buy an electric car?
Chevrolet just unveiled a $30,000 electric SUV called the Equinox EV that's arriving in late 2023. And in the meantime, lots of 2022-model-year electric cars retail for around $40,000 or less. A revamped federal tax credit for electric purchases may defray costs even more for some buyers, but it's still murky which vehicles that will apply to over time.
Sure, $40,000 isn't exactly cheap, but studies have shown that electric-car owners save big on maintenance, repairs, and fueling costs over time.
One big caveat: Electric cars are in short supply right now, so finding popular models for sale at MSRP is easier said than done. If you're looking to save on gas and be kind to your wallet, consider gas-sipping hybrids too.
Retail price: $27,400
Environmental Protection Agency-estimated range for base model: 149 miles
The Nissan Leaf launched in 2010 as one of the first mass-market electric cars. Now it's the cheapest one you can buy. An extra $5,000 over the base price gets you a larger battery pack that provides 226 miles of range.
Mini Cooper SE Hardtop
Retail price: $29,900
EPA-estimated range: 114 miles
Mini's electric car offers an appealing base price, but that comes at the expense of range. Buyer beware: Mini is jacking up the price for the 2023 model.
Chevrolet Bolt EV
Retail price: $31,500
EPA-estimated range: 259 miles
Chevrolet refreshed the Bolt hatchback for 2022 with modern looks and a price cut. The 2023 model will cost even less: $26,595.
Retail price: $33,470
EPA-estimated range: 100 miles
For its first electric car, Mazda went all out with sleek styling and funky rear doors that swing backward. But it gave the MX-30 confusingly poor driving range, less than half that of some rivals.
Mazda is selling the MX-30 in California to start.
Chevrolet Bolt EUV
Retail price: $33,500
EPA-estimated range: 247 miles
The Chevy Bolt EUV is all new for 2022. It shares a lot with the Bolt EV but is meant to be a small SUV rather than a hatchback. You get a bit more interior space and ground clearance than the hatchback, but less range.
Hyundai Kona Electric
Retail price: $34,000
EPA-estimated range: 258 miles
The electric version of Hyundai's popular little SUV comes with excellent range and advanced safety
Hyundai Ioniq 5
Retail price: $39,950
EPA-estimated range for base model: 220 miles
If you want all-wheel drive and longer range, you'll have to pony up. But the Ioniq 5's base model offers the same funky looks and spacious interior as pricier versions. A high-performance version is on the way.
Ford F-150 Lightning
Retail price: $39,974
EPA-estimated range for base model: 230 miles
The Ford F-150 Lightning Pro carries an MSRP just below $40,000, but it could be years before they're readily available at that price. A combination of hot demand and low supply means dealers are slapping hefty markups on Ford's first serious electric truck.
Of course, the Lightning is also one of the most expensive F-150 trucks Ford has ever sold. The top-tier platinum model starts at around $91,000.
Kia Niro EV
Retail price: $39,990
EPA-estimated range: 239 miles
The inconspicuous Niro EV is great for people who want a regular-looking electric car that doesn't stick out, our reviewer wrote of the inaugural 2019 model. Stay tuned: the entire Niro lineup is getting a major redesign for 2023, introducing sleeker styling and more electric range.
Retail price: $40,900
EPA-estimated range for base model: 232 miles
The Kia EV6 is new for 2022. In testing, we were impressed by its sporty handling and head-turning looks. Plunk down more money and you can get up to 310 miles of range, which makes the EV6 one of the longest-range electric cars available in 2022.
- 911 dispatchers say skiers are accidentally setting off Apple's new crash-detection technology without realizing, triggering emergency calls
- The rally in stocks will trick investors into thinking the bear market is over, but there's still a case for the S&P 500 to fall another 26% next year, Morgan Stanley's Mike Wilson says
- Adani may be the richest Indian but Ambani’s RIL retains the top spot on Hurun's list of most valuable companies
- Rupee gains 18 paise to 81.08 against US dollar
- Indian markets open marginally lower amid weak global cues – PB Fintech, Maruti Suzuki, Tata Motors, M&M, Bajaj Auto and other stocks in focus
- 234-year-old company EID Parry is only a tad more valuable than year-old unicorn GlobalBees
- Here are the best apps and games on Google Play in India 2022
- Top 10 companies with the highest net profit in India as per Hurun 2022 list
- Dharmaj Crop IPO
- Reliance Jio
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- tata Consumer
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- VerSe Innovation Company
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World