The 15 best states for America's middle class, ranked
Walter Bibikow/ Getty mages
Walter Bibikow/ Getty mages
- A recent study by SmartAsset, a financial technology company, found the states where America's middle class is thriving the most.
- The study analyzed home values, incomes, jobs, taxes, and homeownership.
- Of the top 15 states, seven are located in the Midwest.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
For middle-class families in the US, some states are more financially comfortable to live in than others.
A recent study by financial technology company SmartAsset analyzed home values, incomes, jobs, taxes, and homeownership in each state to find where the middle class is thriving. Though there are many different definitions of what the term "middle class" means, Merriam-Webster defines it as "a class occupying a position between the upper class and the lower class."
For the purposes of this study, SmartAsset considers middle class household earnings to be between $35,000 and $100,000. The results show that the middle class is the strongest in the Midwest. In fact, seven of the top 15 states on the list are in the Midwest.
In order to compile the final ranking, SmartAsset looked at seven factors in all 50 states and the District of Columbia and weighted them equally. These factors include: the percentage of households in the middle class in a given state, the change in median household incomes from 2014 to 2018, the median home value, the homeownership rate, the statistical measurement of income inequality, and job growth from 2014 to 2018 in jobs that earn an average annual income between $30,000 and $70,000.
Keep reading to see which states are the best for America's middle class, according to SmartAsset.
15. In South Carolina, 44.8% of households are middle class.
14. In Washington, 42.5% of households are middle class.
13. In Ohio, 44.7% of households are middle class.
12. In Tennessee, 44.7% of households are middle class.
11. In Arizona, 45.7% of households are middle class.
10. In Minnesota, 43.3% of households are middle class.
9. In Wisconsin, 46.6% of households are middle class.
8. In Montana, 46.9% of households are middle class.
7. In Vermont, 45.8% of households are middle class.
6. In South Dakota, 48.7% of households are middle class.
5. In Indiana, 47.1% of households are middle class.
4. In Nebraska, 46.4% of households are middle class.
3. In Iowa, 47.3% of households are middle class.
2. In Idaho, 48.8% of households are middle class.
1. In Utah, 47.3% of households are middle class.
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- This frequent flyer who's been 'skiplagging' for a decade says she has 'no remorse and no angst'
- Highest strike rate in IPL 2023: Rahane beats Jaiswal; SKY only Indian in top four
- Godrej Group arm to invest ₹100 crore to acquire material handling equipment to be rented out
- These are must to do activities in Lonavala on your next visit
- Inox Wind gets 150-MW wind energy project from NTPCREL
- RBI’s gold holdings jump over 17% to a whopping ₹2,30,734 crore