The best pregnancy pillows
- A good pregnancy pillow can help support a growing bump and take the strain off your back and joints so you can get a good night's sleep.
- The Queen Rose Pregnancy and Maternity Pillow is our top choice because it's supportive, soft, and affordably priced.
When my wife was pregnant with our first child, getting a good night's rest became almost impossible for her by the middle of the second trimester. At first, it was heartburn that forced her to use large pillows that perched her up almost in a sitting position.
By the time the heartburn subsided, her belly had grown to such proportions that her days of stomach sleeping were done until after the birth. She had to adapt to side sleeping, a process which had us at first trying all manner of arranging the pillows we already head in the house, and which ultimately led to the purchase of several pregnancy pillows of varied size and design.
Long, large maternity pillows allow a woman to take some of the pressure off her body by supporting that growing belly, providing relief to both her back as well as her core and her abdomen. These pillows also allow for better alignment of the knees and hips, which reduces pressure on the spine and upper body. In other words, they help her feel almost normal and let the expectant mom get comfortable enough to actually sleep for a few hours now and then.
Now that we're well into our second pregnancy, the big pillows are back. This time, my wife was well prepared and set up what we call her pillow fort weeks before she even needed it, thus adapting more easily to sleeping on her side while flanked front and back by big tubes of supportive fluff before a huge baby belly forced a change in position.
Does she or any other very pregnant woman get a perfect night's sleep each and every night of the week? Oh hell no. But I can only imagine how much less rest she would get without the assist from a good pregnancy pillow.
And for the record, these pillows are also priceless for postpartum respite as a woman's body recovers, and they even work for nursing. It's never too late in a pregnancy to get a great maternity pillow, in other words!
Here are the best pregnancy pillows you can buy:
- Best pregnancy pillow overall: Queen Rose Pregnancy and Maternity Pillow
- Best inexpensive pregnancy pillow: Bluestone Full Body Maternity Pillow
- Best strain-reducing pregnancy pillow: Leachco Back n Belly Chic Contoured Body Pillow
- Best pregnancy pillow for stomach sleepers: Cozy Bump Maternity Pillow
- Best maternity pillow wedge: Hiccapop Pregnancy Pillow Wedge
Updated on 11/01/2019 by Lisa Sabatini: Updated prices, links, text, and formatting. Replaced Yorkshire Pregnancy Support Pillow, which is out-of-stock, with Bluestone Full Body Maternity Pillow as our Best Inexpensive Pregnancy Pillow pick. We are currently testing new products, so we'll update this guide soon.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The best pregnancy pillow overall
The best low-cost pregnancy pillow
The best strain-reducing pregnancy pillow
Best pregnancy pillow for stomach sleepers:
The best maternity pillow wedge
Check out our other baby gear guides
- Top 10 must-visit destinations in South Africa
- Indian markets continue record run, Sensex scales 69K peak as power, bank shares advance
- Stock markets continue record run, Sensex scales 69K peak as power, bank shares advance
- Icy pebbles may be carrying water to developing planets across the cosmos!
- With $500 billion in reserves, LIC is the world’s fourth largest insurer