The Queen wore a brooch that honored her marriage to Prince Philip at her first public engagement since his funeral
- The Queen wore a Cartier brooch that was given to her as a wedding present in 1947.
- The monarch wore the brooch at her first public video call engagement since Prince Philip's funeral.
- The duke died on April 9 at the age of 99.
The Queen paid tribute to Prince Philip at her first public engagement since his funeral service earlier this week.
Queen Elizabeth II met with Ivory Coast ambassador Sara Affoue Amani and Latvian ambassador Ivita Burmistre via video conference on Tuesday, Insider's Melissa Wiley reported at the time.
Her Majesty wore a romantic diamond Cartier rose brooch that was gifted to her as a wedding present by Asaf Jah VII, the Nizam of Hyderabad, in 1947, Vanity Fair reports.
According to the publication, Jah instructed the then-Princess Elizabeth to choose anything from Cartier's existing stock as her wedding gift.
She chose a tiara and matching necklace. In 1973, the Queen had the tiara dismantled and turned the three diamond rosettes into brooches. She wore the largest of the three brooches at the engagement, the publication added.
The Queen's video engagements marked the end of her two-week royal mourning period after Philip's death on April 9.
-The Royal Family (@RoyalFamily) April 27, 2021
It also marked the first time the monarch was seen publicly since his funeral, which took place in St George's Chapel on April 17. The service was attended by just 30 select guests due to the UK's COVID-19 restrictions.
However, the Queen didn't cease royal engagements entirely during the mourning period. She held an audience with Prime Minister Boris Johnson over the phone the day following the duke's death, and held a retirement ceremony for a member of staff a few days later.
The Duke of Edinburgh died at the age of 99. He was married to the monarch for 73 years, making him the longest serving consort in British history.
Buckingham Palace did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
- Former Lok Sabha speaker Manohar Joshi passes away at 86
- Which countries are most affected by severe seismic activity? New earthquake metric provides fresh perspective
- Exicom Tele-Systems to raise ₹429 cr via IPO; sets price band at ₹135-142/share
- Kawasaki Ninja 500 sports bike launched in India at ₹5.24 lakh
- Vodafone Idea board to meet on Feb 27 to consider fundraising proposal