This is the best book of 2019, according to the Book of the Month club and its members
- Every year, tens of thousands of Book of the Month members - particularly voracious readers - vote on one Best Book of the Year.
- There were a handful of great nominees in 2019, but "Daisy Jones & The Six" by Taylor Jenkins Reid beat them all.
- Get a free book for $5 when you use the code "FAM5" at checkout. You can also get $10 off 6- and 12-month gift cards with code "PERFECT10" at checkout.
- Need more inspiration? Shop Amazon's picks for Best Books of 2019 here.
Life is too short to waste time on bad books.
That's why havings tens of thousands of voracious readers do the heavy lifting for you sounds so ideal. It'd be better if they read the thousands of pages, dissected the characters and plots, and then ranked each title to determine which was most unforgettable. Then, they tell you. You buy it, and chances are, you love it.
Every year, that's basically what you'll find in Book of the Month's "Best of the Year" lists. The subscription service's members choose from spectacular titles - an already pared down list from those curated by experts and celebrity judges throughout the year - to crown one Best of the Year. For being the crowd favorite amongst bookworms, it wins a $10,000 prize.
In 2019, that most unforgettable book is "Daisy Jones & The Six." It's the drugs, sex, and rock 'n' roll tale of the whirlwind rise of one of the biggest bands of the seventies - more specifically, of the beautiful lead singer, Daisy, and the lesser-known reasons behind the band's infamous breakup. It's the sort of book that's hard to put down, with unusual wit and perfect pacing.
Book of the Month is a book club that's best known for putting American literary classics like "Gone with the Wind" and "Catcher in the Rye" on the map. BOTM announces five book selections each month chosen by experts and celebrity guest judges passionate about books, and subscribers can choose which book they'd like to receive in hardcover that month. It's been around since 1926, and it has a particularly celebrated eye for cherry-picking promising debuts from the pack. They also give their subscribers access to early releases of anticipated books.
Plus, BOTM members get each monthly book for just $14.99 - and they can choose additional titles that month for $9.99 each. That's often lower than what you'd find in the bookstore or on Amazon, which makes a subscription service surprisingly one of the most efficient and economical ways to get hardcovers of the best new books. And if you didn't finish your book from the previous month, you can skip the current month. For readers who want a physical book without a library line, it can be a particularly good deal.
Below are the other finalists considered for Book of the Year:
- "Recursion" by Blake Crouch
- "The Silent Patient" by Alex Michaelides
- "This Tender Land" by William Kent Krueger
- "A Woman is No Man" by Etaf Rum
Find more information on each of the nominees here, and sign up for your first month of Book of the Month to select your January books here.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- This frequent flyer who's been 'skiplagging' for a decade says she has 'no remorse and no angst'
- Highest strike rate in IPL 2023: Rahane beats Jaiswal; SKY only Indian in top four
- Godrej Group arm to invest ₹100 crore to acquire material handling equipment to be rented out
- These are must to do activities in Lonavala on your next visit
- Inox Wind gets 150-MW wind energy project from NTPCREL
- RBI’s gold holdings jump over 17% to a whopping ₹2,30,734 crore