Gautam Adani gives a tenth of his networth to charity, Azim Premji is impressed
Gautam Adani, India’s richest man, has pledged to donate ₹60,000 crore towards charity.
- The charitable efforts will be under the trusteeship of the
Adani Foundation, and the group says it will enlist sectoral experts to take its efforts forward. Azim Premji, one of the most philanthropic persons in India, praised Adani for his efforts.
The group said that the corpus will be used towards healthcare, education and skill development – all of which are tax-deductible. The Adani Foundation will be holding this corpus as a trustee, and is likely to be partly funded by transferring the stake of promoters in the seven listed companies of the Adani group.
According to Bloomberg Billionaires Index and Forbes, Gautam Adani’s networth is around $93-95 billion.
Adani received praise from Azim Premji, the founder chairman of Wipro and the Czar of Indian IT. A noted philanthropist himself, Premji praised Adani for pledging his wealth at the “peak of business success”, pointing at the substantial contribution to charity by the Adani group.
“The challenges and possibilities of our country demand that we work together as one, cutting across all divides of wealth, region, religion, caste, and more. I wish Gautam Adani and his Foundation the very best in this important national endeavour,” Premji added.
Philanthropy is an effort to help and support social welfare causes by way of donations – in money and kind. Most of Indian CSR and charity causes are guided towards education for underprivileged children, the health and development of women and children from backward areas and communities, and skill building amongst youth.
Premji is also the Czar of charity
For the last two decades, Azim Premji has made a large contribution towards various causes that need attention, in India. He set up the
Premji has also been the biggest philanthropist in India by far, despite not being the richest Indian. In the last two years, he donated over ₹17,600 crore (approx. $2.25 billion at today’s rates) – ₹9,713 crore in 2021 and ₹7,904 crore in 2020. It also made a dent into his personal wealth over the year, in spite of being the head of one of India’s largest IT companies, Wipro.
For comparison, in 2021, HCL Tech’s Shiv Nadar donated ₹1,263 crore while Mukesh Ambani donated ₹577 crore.
Gautam Adani could follow in the footsteps of Premji in his philanthropy efforts, stated a report by the Economic Times, quoting an unnamed source, without going into detail as to how exactly this will be done.
India’s crypto players bullish on hiring; say crash is just a phase
RBI kept the rupee ‘exceptionally’ stable so far, and the tide could turn for the better say experts
Tatas to Ambanis, Adanis and Birlas – fortunes of these high debt companies could change after rate hikes
Popular on BI
- Air India passengers stranded in Siberia for 2 days were abandoned by the crew, had to sleep on the floor, and were only given bread and rice, relative says
- Foreign investors have been dumping vast amounts of Chinese assets, and putting money there will only get riskier
- Trump acted like 'the Godfather if it was reenacted by a 5-year-old' to try to keep his hands clean in Mar-a-Lago case: experts
- List of famous things to buy in Munnar
- Ads that sailed into the eye of a controversy
- India tops world ranking in digital payments, records 89.5 million transactions in 2022: MyGovIndia
- Will regulate AI and ensure it doesn't harm digital citizens: Rajeev Chandrasekhar
- Road accident death rate has dropped in Kerala after AI cameras became operational: Transport Minister