Jeff Bezos becomes the first person on Earth to be worth more than $200 billion
- His wealth is double that of Bill Gates, the world’s second-richest person, and Microsoft founder.
- Amazon’s share price has surged by 80% since the beginning of the year.
- Bezos would have achieved this milestone much earlier had he not gone through an expensive divorce.
Bezos isn’t just the wealthiest man but the only person to have that amount of money in modern history. His wealth is nearly double that of the world’s second-richest person and Microsoft founder Bill Gates.
56-year old Bezos is the founder, CEO, and president of Amazon — a multinational company that focuses on a range of businesses from e-commerce to cloud computing and artificial intelligence.
Bezos got wealthier, as the shares of Amazon rose 2% on Wednesday afternoon, pushing his net worth to a record high. He was worth $204 billion, as of 1:50 p.m. EDT
He owns an 11.1% stake in the $1.68 trillion company. A week ago, he sold a billion Amazon shares for $3.1 billion. His fortune is the highest wealth ever recorded by Forbes since they started tracking billionaires.
Bezos would have achieved this milestone much earlier had he not gone through an expensive divorce. As part of his divorce settlement, he transferred a quarter of his Amazon’s share to his ex-wife Mackenzie Scott. She now owns 3.8% of the company and is the richest woman in the world.
Amazon’s share price has surged by 80% since the beginning of the year. People are shopping online now more than ever — filling the deep pockets of both Amazon and Bezos.
According to Forbes, Bezos has earned $86 billion of his wealth in the last 12 months. He was worth $114 billion until September last year. Experts say Bezos is on his path to become the world’s first trillionaire by 2026.
NEET-JEE 2020: Mamata Banerjee, Sonia Gandhi and other opposition leaders may approach the Supreme Court to challenge Centre’s decision
Popular on BI
- Home buyers ready to pay 15-20% premium for health and wellness amenities: Dhaval Ajmera
- New-age tech companies rake in business but are still making losses
- Best weighing machine under ₹500
- Dharmaj Crop Guard IPO subscribed 1.79 times on day 1
- As Sensex, Nifty50 hit record highs, this is what experts are advising investors
- Dharmaj Crop IPO
- Visa Platinum Prepaid Card
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- tata Consumer
- Germany Visa
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Small Cap Companies
- Bank Loan
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World