National Simplicity Day, the birth anniversary of the man who influenced Gandhi and Martin Luther King
National Simplicity Dayhonours Henry Davidon his birth anniversary.
- Civil Disobedience by Henry David influenced prominent figures such as
Mahatma Gandhi, Leo Tolstoy, and Martin Luther King Jr.
- The theme for 2022 is ‘Look for the bare necessities, the simple bare necessities.
Advertisement"As you simplify your life, the universe's rules will become simpler," Thoreau had said to celebrate the unadorned standard of living with little or no tribulations. Apart from being a philosopher, he was also a naturalist, abolitionist, historian and transcendentalist writer.
History and significance
Henry David Thoreau was born on July 12, 1817, in Concord, Massachusetts, USA. Through his notable essay on civil disobedience, the author influenced prominent figures such as Mahatma Gandhi, Leo Tolstoy, and Martin Luther King Jr.
The special day arose from the desire to be free of worldly things that cause stress in our daily lives. It highlights the importance of breaking free from the shackles of the modern world and learning how to live life to the fullest without spending time in the virtual world.
Worldwide, people spend most of their time on social media, mobile phones, and other forms of technology. The National Simplicity day can help to break the technology chain and help live ordinarily.
The theme for 2022
This year, the National Simplicity Day theme is ‘Look for the bare necessities, the simple bare necessities’. The theme suggests that people should spend a bare minimum scrutinizing the world's current situation with the rising inflation rate and crisis. People should spend their money on necessities rather than engage in frivolous purchases.
Meet Sini Shetty, a Bharatanatyam dancer & the winner of Femina Miss India World 2022
Shakuntala Devi - Contribution of Shakuntala Devi in Mathematics
Popular on BI
- Elon Musk and more than 1,000 people sign an open letter calling for a pause on training AI systems more powerful than GPT-4
- The good news is, only old office buildings are doomed. The bad news is, that's 70% of them.
- Mobile payments pioneer Paytm ‘deeply rooted in India’ — social media users hail Paytm’s QR strength that powers India’s small merchants
- Musical Marathon: Backstreet Boys to Ultra music fests are ready to rock India in 2023
- IPL 2023 new rules – from two team sheets to impact player, here are the new rules
- Current Account Deficit narrows to 2.2% of GDP in Q3: RBI data
- No festive cheer for auto cos in March: PV sales ‘flattish’, 2Ws to see a slight uptick
- Star Sports gets a tech upgrade for IPL 2023: Dolby Atmos, Real-time Highlights, Ambience-only mode, and more explained