Sunil Mittal lost a billion dollars ahead of Ambani's Jio launch — and as much after that
- There was a time when Mittal was almost the undisputed king of the market.
- But he lost nearly a billion dollars a year after Jio launched. His net worth fell from $6.6 billion in 2015 to $5.7 billion in 2016.
- Mittal and Mukesh Ambani are in the news for their fierce rivalry over supremacy in the
There was a time when Sunil Mittal fell short of ₹5,000 in the 1980s but this roadblock didn’t stop him from creating India’s largest conglomerate.
He received more than $350 million in dividends in FY19, according to Bloomberg.
Mittal and Mukesh Ambani are in the news for their fierce rivalry over supremacy in the telecom market. But, there was a time when Mittal was almost the undisputed king of the market. Sunil Mittal lost nearly a billion dollar the year after Jio launched. His net worth fell from $6.6 billion in 2015 to $5.7 billion in 2016.
Surprisingly, he lost over 1.2 billion dollars between 2018 and 2019 primarily.
Here’s the rise and fall of Sunil Mittal:
Sunil Mittal, the founder of Bharti Airtel, is the 14th richest person in India
He founded a small bicycle-parts manufacturing business, Bharti, in 1976 when he was 18
Soon, he became the poster boy of India’s telecom industry.
Mukesh Ambani led-Reliance Industries disrupted the Indian telecom industry yet again with Jio
Both Airtel and Jio raged a war to capture a larger share of India’s billion dollar telecom market
Popular on BI
- 10 Beautiful staycation options in Mumbai
- Reliance Retail receives full subscription amount of Rs 2,069.50 cr from KKR, allots 1.71 cr shares
- As inflation continues to remain high, RBI likely to keep interest rates unchanged
- 10 Beautiful staycation options in Bangalore
- Micron begins construction on $2.7 bn India semiconductor plant in 'epic' beginning