This Controversial Tower In London Was Just Named The World's Best New Skyscraper [PHOTOS]
The building, which was completed in 2012, is the tallest building in Western Europe and was designed by architect Renzo Piano. The Shard is certainly striking, but it has also been a source of controversy since it became part of the London's skyline.
Londoners widely hated the modernist building, and a design flaw in the building apparently lets guests see into each other's rooms at The Shard's Shangri-La Hotel.
Even so, the building is an impressive sight. "Construction of The Shard was complicated by the particularly tight site and therefore needed innovative planning," an Emporis jury member said. "This makes the result all the more impressive: A skyscraper that is recognized immediately and which is already considered London's new emblem."
Adam Taylor and Alyson Penn contributed to this story.
- Realme 10 Pro+ 5G Review: An all-round value smartphone
- Sensex snaps 4-session losing run led by PSU banks
- The future is connected: 80% of traditional TV viewers want to switch in a year says Finecast Kantar
- Electric-vehicle financing startup Vidyut raises $4 million in first round of funding
- RIL, Adani Enterprises are the biggest and most consistent wealth creators: Motilal Oswal
- Realme10 Pro Plus Mobile
- Gig jobs
- Sula Vineyards IPO
- Whatsapp tips
- International Roaming Plans
- RBI hikes repo rate
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Most Valuable Companies
- Most searched movies
- Adani Enterprises
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World