These 7 makers of consumer goods will get squeezed even more if Trump ramps up his China tariffs
- President Donald Trump's trade-war tweets have once again spooked markets.
- At 12:01 a.m. ET on Friday, tariffs on $200 billion worth of Chinese goods will increase from 10% to 25%. Additionally, a fresh 25% tariff will be placed another $325 billion worth of Chinese goods.
- These seven companies have significant manufacturing operations in China, making them particularly sensitive to any tariff increases.
- Visit Markets Insider's homepage for more stories.
The US is planning to slam China with fresh tariffs, a move that would have a big impact on the companies with significant manufacturing operations there.
On May 5, President Donald Trump threatened to increase the tariffs on $200 billion worth of Chinese of goods, and slap a fresh 25% tariff on an additional $325 billion of goods.
"For 10 months, China has been paying Tariffs to the USA of 25% on 50 Billion Dollars of High Tech, and 10% on 200 Billion Dollars of other goods. These payments are partially responsible for our great economic results. The 10% will go up to 25% on Friday. 325 Billions Dollars....," Trump tweeted on May 5.
The changes are set to go into effect at 12:01 a.m. ET on Friday.
In a newly published research report from Piper Jaffray, analyst Erinn Murphy highlights the consumer goods companies, such as Nike and Crox, that have the most exposure to Chinese manufacturing operations, and will therefore see a big impact from the new tariffs.
"Up until now, many companies have been able to absorb the majority of the 10% tariff through: 1) diversification of production; 2) concessions from Chinese factories," writes Murphy.
"Elevating the tariff to 25% would likely result in companies needing to consider pricing increases--although those could take time to pass through & the full tariff would likely not be passed through."
Markets Insider highlights seven companies that Piper Jaffray says will see a big impact from increased tariffs:
Phillips-Van Heusen Corp.
G-III Apparel Group
- Best HDMI switchers you can get for your TV
- Best 7.1 gaming headphones for a surround sound experience
- The last Solar Eclipse of 2021: Date, time and everything you need to know
- Ahmedabad and Bengaluru see a big jump in hiring activity in November
- ‘Right person at the right time’ — Here’s a sneak-peek at economist Gita Gopinath’s journey so far