These elementary school kids are freaking out over a math game called Fact Dash
"But no, it's Fact Dash going on," she added, in the video.
That's not hyperbole. Watch this video of elementary students competing head-to-head in a math competition that happens everyday at the end of school.
What looks like utter chaos is a carefully crafted game created by Principal Hammond-Walker.
It's a game that Hammond-Walker created when she was a third-grade teacher and her students were struggling with math.
She's now in her first year as principal at J.E. Johnson, located in Jefferson Davis County, Mississippi, and the game had exploded in the halls of the school.
"In our building at 2:15 it turns into a math fact frenzy all over the school from kindergarten through sixth grade," she told Business Insider.
The premise is simple enough. Teachers quiz students using flash cards with math questions written on them. Students from one classroom line up side-by-side to compete with students in an opposing classroom.
The first person to shout the right answer joins the back of the line, while students who don't answer quickly enough or get the answer wrong are out. The teacher whose classroom wins for the day gets a sticker on a ranking list to keep track of their record.
As an added incentive to win, the school has a monthly recognition ceremony called a "Blast Ceremony" where the students and classes who have won the most Fact Dash games are recognized. And the classroom with the most stickers at the end of the month gets a "Blast Party," with a DJ and snacks.
Fact Dash isn't just about having fun for Hammond-Walker. Her goal is to improve the student outcomes at the school at J.E. Johnson Elementary.
In Mississippi, schools are rated from "A" to "F." J.E. Johnson is currently a "C" school. Hammond-Walker is doing everything she can to bring the school to a "B," and she says she won't stop until it is finally and "A" rated school.
- Close-ups of footage said to show Gabby Petito's van near where a body was found appear to show the rear door closing
- Elon Musk pulled his 'last remaining house' off the market after vowing last year to get rid of nearly all his possessions
- It's never been more clear: companies should give up on back to office and let us all work remotely, permanently
- Here’s what experts have to say about Cadbury Dairy Milk’s latest ad that has taken the internet by storm
- The collapse of Evergrande, one of China’s largest home developers, is “not a Lehman moment” but the fear may haunt steel and metal stocks in India
- SBI Cards, Adani Ports, HCL Tech and other top stocks to watch out for on September 21
- Sansera Engineering IPO — How to check allotment status, listing date and more
- Durex takes down its latest social media post on the bus scene from Netflix’s Sex Education after internet users call it ‘insensitive’