These graphics show the crucial differences between the world's 3 types of aircraft carrier
These floating islands of military power take years to build, and they do not come cheap: The first of the US's new Ford-class of super carrier has a $13 billion price tag.
Still, despite the cost, a number of countries have suceeded in building or acquiring a carrier. Although the US has the largest number of carriers with the most advanced technology and the largest flight decks, a variety of carriers of various sizes and sophistication are in use around the world.
The following graphics, created by US Naval Institute member Jeff Head at World-Wide Aircraft Carriers, breaks down the various carrier classes in use around the world today. The first class, Catapult Assisted Take-Off, Barrier Assisted Recovery (CATOBAR), are the largest and most complex carriers in use today.allows the carriers to fly a greater variety of both heavy and lightweight planes, and at a greater takeoff rate and velocity, compared to non-catapult systems. The majority of CATOBAR carriers are nuclear-powered.
Short Take-Off, Barrier Assisted Recovery (STOBAR) type carriers are differ from CATOBAR carriers in more than just their launch technology. The carriers are equipped with "ski-jump" ramps that allow for aircraft to take off from the carriers. These carriers are technologically simpler and thus easier to operate than CATOBAR carriers, although aircraft must be lighter to successfully take off from their decks.
STOBAR carriers, like CATOBAR carriers, still use assisted recovery methods such as trap wires that help aircraft to land and decelerate on a dangerously short runway.cheapest type of carrier to build. Like STOBAR carriers, they run off of conventional rather than nuclear power. Although the carriers sometimes feature a ski-jump to assist with take-offs, the vessels do not feature any recovery systems to help aircraft land.
- 'Texting between iPhone and Android is broken:' Google puts Apple on blast for converting Android texts to green bubbles and 'blurry' compressed videos
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 beta arrives next month – here’s how to get early access
- Indian diamantaires want to make lab-grown diamonds a woman’s best friend
- OPINION: World Biofuel Day — Can biofuel help sustainably meet the growing energy needs of India?
- Kotak Mahindra rolls out a lifestyle focused salary account
- Trading on Indian crypto exchange WazirX drops by over 55%, WRX token loses sheen
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4, Z Flip 4, Watch 5 series, and Buds 2 Pro launched: Check price, specifications and photos
- Will Aamir Khan’s Laal Singh Chaddha be the box of chocolates Bollywood is waiting for?