This is India’s first community-run Instagram account. Here’s how it is helping rural Kumaoni women seek alternative livelihood
Adjusting her binocular for a better view of the snow capped peaks around,
ALSO READ: Traveling the world and yet earning money: Read the fascinating story of this Indian blogger
And this exploration to find an alternative livelihood for the rural women of the
What do they do?
Sarmoli organizes their annual summer ritual in April every spring. The week-long Himal Kalasutra festival where the locals of Sarmoli come together to run a marathon with an altitude gain of 8000 feet over 20km and watch birds. Last year, a week of meditative yoga and an introductory digital workshop by
With the help of Shivya and Malika, the villagers have started an Instagram profile to share with the world their stories. Initially, it was thought that the interest in sharing their stories may die down soon. On the contrary, their interest kept surging and some villagers became too tech savvy within short period of time.
Advertisement“Following a photography workshop in the village this April, we hope to do a photo/Instagram exhibition, showcasing the work of budding local photographers to potentially create an alternate income stream to fund a new outdoor education programme,” Shivya told
“If you, or anyone you know is a smartphone photographer who’d like to spend a week in this gorgeous part of the mountains, sharing their art and skills with some budding local photographers, let me know too,” added Shivya.
Popular on BI
- Air Pollution Control Day: These are a few simple ways by which you can help the environment
- BYJU's Early Learn App, Disney onboards Olympic medalists Neeraj Chopra and PV Sindhu as its brand ambassadors
- Project Ironman: Leak sheds light on Motorola’s AR glasses with touchpad-bearing neckband and Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chipset
- Android Auto to support touchscreen-based quick replies for message notifications soon
- Twitter suspended 34,000 accounts in October, while WhatsApp banned 2 million