This is the easiest thing you can do to avoid nasty soot marks on your candle jars
The INSIDER Summary:
• Not everyone knows that there is a right and wrong way to burn a candle.
• The first step is to always trim the wick.
• Trimmed wicks make for a cleaner burn with less smoky residue.
Ever buy a brand new candle only to watch its glass jar turn black and smoky? There's a way to prevent those unsightly smoke stains, and it's incredibly simple: Always trim the wick.
This was the most important thing I told customers when I worked for Yankee Candle, and I still abide by the rule in my own home.
Start by trimming the wick to 1/4-1/8 of an inch in length, every time you burn.
You can use a plain old pair of scissors to do this, but once the candle burns down, it'll get harder to reach the blades far enough into the jar - that's why I like to use nail clippers instead.
But if you're a serious candle fanatic, you might want to invest in a wick trimmer. Think of them like a modified pair of scissors built specifically for this purpose. You can find a trimmer online for around $10.
Trimmed wicks make for a clean burn.
Check out the difference between these two flames. Trimmed wicks make the flame look clean and bright. Untrimmed wicks are a lot more likely to take on a weird mushroom-esque shape (see below) that dulls and obscures the flame.
And you'll avoid smoky candle jars, too.
Untrimmed wicks are a major contributor to that unsightly black residue. Short wicks make for a controlled flame and less smoke. Need proof? Here's a candle we burned for several days with an untrimmed wick:
But for this candle, we trimmed the wick before every burn:
Of course, wick trimming is only part of proper candle burning technique - but it's a crucial (and easy!) way to get more from every candle you buy.
NOW WATCH: These birthday candles bloom like flowers
- Heatwave is gone and heavy rainfall, hailstorms in the next 5 days — IMD issues alert
- Retail inflation could soften by 50-60 basis points on government interventions: CARE
- Tata Steel, JSW, SAIL and JSPL will lose half of their export biz as government wages war on inflation
- Sony has announced that half of its game releases will be on PC and mobile by 2025
- Meta-owned Instagram rolls out exclusive ‘1 Minute Music’ tracks for reels in India
- Delhivery IPO allotment
- Reliance Retail
- Bitcoin Mining
- Reliance JIO
- Best Deal on Smartphones
- Unacademy offline Classes
- Hubble Space
- 5G Phones Under Rs. 20000
- Paytm Market Value
- Reliance Industries
- Ambassador Electric Cars
- Hiring in BEL
- Adani Green
- Paradeep Phosphates balance sheet
- Spam Calls in India
- Whatsapp Reaction