This map shows every state that has legalized marijuana
Skye Gould/Business Insider
- Recreational marijuana is legal in nine states and medical marijuana is legal in 29 states.
- Vermont became the first state to legalize marijuana through the legislature, rather than a ballot initiative, in January 2018.
- A recent Gallup poll showed that 64% of Americans support legalization.
One of the world's biggest cash crops - marijuana - is sweeping the US.
Marijuana prohibition began 80 years ago when the federal government put a ban on the sale, cultivation, and use of the cannabis plant. It remains illegal on the federal level.Despite the efforts of Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who has been on a crusade to stamp out legal marijuana since his appointment, the industry is exploding.
Legal marijuana sales were expected to hit $9.7 billion in North America in 2017, according to a report from Arcview Market Research. Arcview has not yet released final numbers for the year, but its forecast represents a 33% increase over 2016, shattering previous expectations about how quickly the industry could grow in the face of federal prohibition.The report also predicted that the entire legal marijuana market will reach $24.5 billion in sales - a 28% annual growth rate - by 2021, as more state-legal markets come online.Support for marijuana legalization reached new highs in 2017. A Gallup poll showed that 64% of Americans favor legalization, and a majority of Republicans back it for the first time.
- Lawyers can now travel in special Mumbai suburban trains
- Bezos vs Ambani battle: Eight questions regarding Amazon's disclosures of Future deal will be in the spotlight
- Maharashtra reduces COVID-19 test rates at private labs to ₹980
- Top stocks to watch — Mahindra Finance, Tata Motors, Airtel, DHFL, SBI, Coforge, and others
- Compound Interest Waiver Scheme applies to everyone but provides limited relief — Here’s everything you need to know