This mysterious young artist who refuses to reveal her age is being called the 'Andy Warhol of YouTube' with 250 million views - and there are multiple conspiracy theories about her
- Poppy is an artist who's gained over 250 million views on her YouTube channel.
- She has mesmerized and confused viewers with videos such as "I'm Poppy," a 10 minute video featuring her repeating the words "I'm Poppy," that has over 14 million views.
- She was recently compared to Andy Warhol by New York Magazine.
Poppy is a YouTube star who claims she's "from the internet." Her robot-like, soft voice and puzzling YouTube monologues - sometimes sung, sometimes recited - deliver slightly nonsensical messages to her viewers.
"Do you ever think about followers? What does it mean when you have a lot of followers? There's a number after my name. Do you have a number after your name? The number keeps climbing higher and higher," she says into the camera during one of her videos published last year.
Her YouTube channel has over 250 million views, and she and her director, Titanic Sinclear, recently debuted her new YouTube Red show "I'm Poppy" during the Sundance Film Festival. She also released an album on Diplo's Mad Decent records called "Poppy.Computer" that features songs such as "Computer Boy" and "Interweb."
Poppy is influenced by Japanese "kawaii" culture, ASMR videos, David Lynch, and of course, the internet. In a recent profile on the artist in New York Magazine she was compared to Andy Warhol.
Because little is known about the woman who represents Poppy, conspiracy theories from Poppy Truthers have flown around both Reddit and YouTube. Some believe she's a member of a cult, or that Sinclear is keeping her hostage, or that her YouTube Channel - which has videos dating back to 2014, is actually just a marketing campaign for something.
Below, a look at the artist Poppy.
- Cabinet approves royalty rates for mining of 12 critical minerals
- Paytm and Paytm Payments Bank mutually agree to discontinue various inter-company agreements
- Platinum Industries IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- Exicom Tele-Systems IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- India's GDP growth surges to 8.4% in Q3, 2023-24 growth rate pegged at robust 7.6%