This ship is bigger than an aircraft carrier and has as much power as 900 cars
It's big: longer than an American aircraft carrier and more than 20 stories tall, the ship is capable of carrying 18,000 twenty-foot containers.
According to the French shipping company's website,the ship has a latest-generation engine "as powerful as 900 Ford Focus cars[,] and her 21 knots thrust is equivalent to that of 11 Boeing 747-400 engines."
Most ships of similar or larger size are usually unable to be accommodated at American ports, and many of the current cranes simply cannot manage stacking containers 10 high, as is possible on the Ben Franklin.
This will soon change, however, thanks to a $4.6 billion investment into the port of Long Beach including a new $1.31 billion terminal.
NOW WATCH: The best car of the year - the Volvo XC90
- From marketing and tech to leadership - learn new skills and explore new possibilities with these Udemy courses
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Facebook, Microsoft and others look towards the $1 trillion dollar ‘metaverse’ opportunity — but that contradicts the base philosophy behind Web 3.0
- Bankrupt Sintex Industries' stock double after RIL showed interest to acquire it
- Omicron COVID-19: Kerala orders 7 days quarantine for arrivals from high risk countries
- 2,116 serious AEFI cases out of 119 crore COVID-19 jabs, says Centre
- After taking us on a nostalgia trip by featuring 90s stars like Rahul Dravid and Jackie Shroff in its ads, CRED is back at it again, this time with Chacha Chaudhary and Suppandi
- Top 10 most wicket-takers for India in the history of Test Cricket