Tim Cook wants the Apple Watch to replace your car keys
During the interview, Cook was asked about what the Apple Watch will actually be able to do. He talked about the health tracking, and how accurately it keeps time, things we've heard before. But also said something new.
Cook explained to The Telegraph that the Apple Watch is "designed to be able to replace car keys." Apple wants the world to move away from "clumsy, large fobs" and instead use the Apple Watch to unlock car doors when people get near.
The Apple Watch had several features cut before it went into final production. A report claimed earlier this month that it was meant to ship with advanced health-tracking capabilities, such as a stress detector that worked by measuring the conductivity of skin. Apple could add in a car unlocking feature (as well as those cut health-tracking features) in future versions of the watch.
It seems that Apple has a long-standing obsession with improving car keys. Apple previously won a patent for a type of technology that could see people using their iPhone to unlock their car.
Apple's patent application:
Apple is also working on developing its own car, rumour has it. "Project Titan" is an internal division inside Apple that is allegedly building the new car, which may also run on electricity (not fuel), and could even be driverless. But so far Apple hasn't given away any clues as to what exactly it's doing.
NOW WATCH: Here's How The Apple Watch Works
- Apple is hiring engineers and interns for their tech team in India
- Actor James Michael Tyler, known for his role as Gunther on 'Friends,' has passed away at 59 from prostate cancer
- Apple is being sued by a San Francisco man for $1,383.13, the exact cost of his iPhone 12. He says the company refused to fix the device while it was under warranty.
- Reliance Jio lost subscribers for the first time in 10 quarters but there's good news for Mukesh Ambani in this too
- Pankaj Tripathi and Maanvi Gagroo reprise their role as Kaleen Bhaiyya and Siddhi in Amazon Prime India's Diwali campaign
- Internal documents reveal how Facebook struggled to deal with misinformation and hate speech in India
- Clear(Tax) has bagged $75 million from world's highest valued fintech startup Stripe and others to fuel its international expansion
- Mark Zuckerberg hits out against Apple as Facebook's ad revenue dwindles