Tour Richard Branson's private island where he and his team rode out Hurricane Irma
Hurricane Irma has brought significant damage to much of the Caribbean as it's barreled towards South Florida.
One of the islands in the path of the "potentially catastrophic" Category 5 hurricane was Necker Island, the British Virgin Island retreat belonging to billionaire entrepreneur Richard Branson.
Earlier this week, Branson announced that he and his team would be riding out the storm in the main house's wine cellar.
Following the storm's hit on the island, a spokesperson for the Virgin Group told Business Insider: "Virgin Limited Edition can confirm that on the 6th September 2017 Necker Island sustained extensive damage as a result of Hurricane Irma. There were no guests on Island at the time and all staff staying on Island have been accounted for as safe and well."
This is not the first time that Branson has had to repair the structures on Necker Island. A major fire in 2011 brought major damage to the main house, which took two years to rebuild.
Branson bought the 74-acre island in the British Virgin Islands for $180,000 after visiting in 1978. He has called it "the best financial move" he ever made. The island has been a getaway for celebrities, entrepreneurs, and even former President Barack Obama, who visited shortly after he left the White House in January.
Individual rooms can be rented starting at $4,280 a night, for a week minimum, while the island can be rented as a whole for $78,000 a day.
Take a look around the island as it looked in less stormy times.
Julie Zeveloff and Sophie-Claire Hoeller contributed reporting to earlier versions of this article.
- Dr Pepper forced to give $100K prize to BOTH contestants after boos erupt following odd tie-breaker at SEC championship halftime contest
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- ChatGPT is a new AI chatbot that can find mistakes in your code or write a story for you
- The science behind selling a dress to an Indian woman, according to the CEO of Latin Quarters
- All except three Indian sectoral indices have outperformed their US counterparts in 2022 so far
- Best bike helmet under ₹1000
- Best dinner set under ₹2000
- ‘Most valuable companies’ with least number of employees, as per the Hurun report
- Jio Haptik
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Droneacharya Aerial IPO
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Kama Holdings
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World